Chapter ten

The five of you seemed to walk for hours upon hours with out reaching anywhere or anything, while here and there you'd happen upon some creature lurking around or making rather disturbing noises.. it was just fog upon fog.

You were beginning to wonder if you were even in the upside down anymore or a whole new world.. existence.. all together.

That was until the five of you happened upon a familiar clearing that lead to the back of Hawkins High. Thank god, some familiarity.. some resemblance of home.

"I told you I knew where I was going," Kas muses in thought, "Can we sit for a minute? My feet are killing me," Robin groans.. you felt her pain.

It was like you had walked across scorching hot stones then plunged your feet into a bed of nails.

"Humans.. so weak," Kas sighs as he turns around, sliding his sword in its leathered sheath that rested on his back and gesturing towards the ground for you all to sit.

There was a surprisingly lacking amount of deadly vines, maybe Vecna was drawing his power in.. maybe he didn't care that the four of you were wandering around doing who knows what.

Maybe Kas's protective barrier extended further than his sword.

Shit.

Steve and Dustin aren't distractions, they're bait.

The reason that Vecna or the mind-flayer aren't looking for the four of you isn't because he's reigning in his power or coming up with a plan, no.. it's because Vecna can't find any of you.

Thats why Kas hasn't been worried about a drop in visit from the dark lord himself, Kas knows he's protecting all of your minds so Vecna can't locate any of you.

And of course Kas doesn't want you to know this because not only would you be less scared and he'd have less power but then you'd all be able to turn against him freely.

You'd all know that you have a small time frame in which you'd be off Vecnas radar to come up with your own plan to take him down too.

He never intended to keep Dustin or Steve safe, no.. he intended to send them right into the lions den with steak written all over them.

Once Kas would be as far away as possible, the mind protection would wear off and Vecna would be able to hear Dustin and Steve loud and clear.

Vecna would be able to pin point their very position in the upside down with out even blinking and of course, Vecna would kill the both of them.

Easily, carelessly and without mercy.

Which would give Kas enough time to take Vecna down himself.. maybe the further Kas is from Vecna.. the less likely Vecna can get inside his own head.

Giving Kas the perfect opportunity to distract, destroy and take over.

But if he was hiding all of this.. what else was he planning? Why did he want to keep you and Robin with him? Why can you not be killed?

Was he going to off Robin... then what?

Why are you needed?
Why are you important?

You bet he never had any intention in saving Max or Will either, they were just more collateral.

Kas wasn't going to save them, bring them back.. he couldn't.

That's it.

He NEEDS Vecna to harness the power of bringing back the dead but.. who does he want to bring back?

Why hasn't Kas caught on to what you have been thinking? He's shown no reaction whatsoever, no grimace, no sigh, no anger and no words.

"Kas?" You ask curiously, "What?" He breathes out - if he had any idea what you were thinking of, his response wouldn't be so mild.