Caffrey Conversation

What began as a single fic in the White Collar fandom has grown into a series. It's more than two million words long and still growing, so this is where to go if you want to lose yourself for hours. We've put our own twist on the characters and their lives, so don't worry if you're not familiar with the TV show.

Setting: New York City, with extensive travel

Time period: Begins in late 2003 (approximately six years before the pilot episode of White Collar). There's also a sub-series authored by Silbrith, placing some of the characters in a fictional college town in the 1970s.

Characters: The main characters are a con artist/thief (Neal Caffrey) and the FBI agent (Peter Burke) who recruits him. Add in their co-workers, families, friends, love interests, and villains, and we have built an extensive cast. As the series progressed, we also made it a mission to include a more diverse set of characters, spanning the gamut of race, sexual orientation, age, abilities, and gender.

Major elements and themes: found family, friendship, romance, college, music, art, crime, mysteries

I wrote the initial stories in the series, and then Silbrith joined as co-author; many of the stories listed below are by Silbrith, who also originated two sub-series. You'll find her stories under her profile.

Sub-series #1 is Crossed Lines. These are stories that crossover White Collar and Supernatural, bringing in paranormal elements such as ghosts, demons, vampires, etc.

Sub-series #2 is Arkham Files. These take the main characters of Caffrey Conversation, and placed them in a college town in the 1970s, introducing elements of interstellar travel / time travel, and taking inspiration from the Cthulhu mythos. In a meta twist, these stories are referred to in the main Caffrey Conversation series as fanfic written by characters to get a reaction from a villain they pursue over an arc of many stories. This sub-series took on a life of its own.

The Caffrey Conversation stories in order:

1) Caffrey Conversation by Penna Nomen 

2) Choirboy Caffrey by Penna Nomen 

3) In the Driver's Seat by Penna Nomen 

4) By the Book by Penna Nomen 

5) Treasure Hunt by Penna Nomen 

6) Caffrey Envoy by Penna Nomen 

7) Written in the Stars by Penna Nomen 

8) Caffrey Flashback by Penna Nomen 

9) Complications by Silbrith 

10) Caffrey Disclosure by Penna Nomen 

11) The Golden Hen by Silbrith 

12) The Woman in Blue by Silbrith 

13) The Queen's Jewels by Silbrith 

14) The Tale of Genji by Silbrith 

15) Caffrey Aloha by Penna Nomen 

16) Wish on a Star by Penna Nomen   

17) The Dreamer by Silbrith 

18) The Mirror by Silbrith 

19) Spring Break by Penna Nomen (combination of four short stories)  

20) Whispers in the Night by Silbrith (Crossed Lines) 

21) Raphael's Dragon by Silbrith 

22) Homecoming by Penna Nomen

23) Witches' Sabbath by Silbrith (Crossed Lines)