01 | THE DRAGOMIR LINE

HOW INSULTING, BROTHER. SHE COULD ONLY BE BUT SEVENTY.

 SHE COULD ONLY BE BUT SEVENTY

[ season 1 — episode 1 ]

Three girls stood side by side, elbowing each other to try and get a good look at themselves in the tall mirror before them. It didn't matter that there was another huge mirror mounted on the wall behind them.

"Move over, Mish. You've been staring at yourself for an hour," Rose Hathaway said in a joking tone while elbowing her in the side.

"Well, it is such a pretty reflection," Mischa responded, grinning at her friend.

"Someone sucked up all the confidence in the womb," Lissa chimed in, laughing at her sister's typical behavior.

The world the three girls lived in was anything but normal. Each of them was a vampire, though not the same. Rose was a Dhampir. Her kind were the ones responsible for protecting the Moroi — trained since they were children to be protective bodyguards to fight off Strigoi, the soulless, bloodthirsty vampires that craved Moroi blood more than anything.

Lucky for Vasilisa and Mischa, they were Moroi, but not just any. The fraternal twin sisters were the youngest daughters of the great Dragomir family — one of the twelve royal families within the Dominion that ruled over all the vampires.

Being a royal family was the only way they'd managed to score an invite to the party they were getting ready for. The Queen was turning two hundred years old, and it was her last birthday before she stepped down and a new ruler was selected. Though it was scandalous to bring a Dhampir as a guest, Rose was practically a member of the Dragomir family and would be in attendance too.

Rose looked absolutely stunning in a bright red gown that showed off her short but curvy figure. Lissa went for a subtler-colored blue dress, though she couldn't help but wear a red choker necklace made of the same material to coordinate with her best friend. Honestly, at times, it was hard to believe those two weren't the twins with how close they were despite their differences.

Mischa, who was only a handful of minutes older than Lissa, opted for a fancier gown that she'd bought specifically for the party. She was a princess, after all. Why not dress out in a flowing pink gown with embroidered flowers made of real gold thread? Her long, black hair was in an intricate braid, and a golden tiara sat perfectly on top.

"I really do look gorgeous," Mischa said, holding out her arms to look at the shimmering lotion that was on them.

Rose snorted while peering at herself in the mirror. "I look like a fucking macaroon."

"What does that even mean?" Mischa asked, letting out an airy laugh.

Lissa lifted the silver tiara off her head and placed it on Rose's, making them all smile. "And now, you look like a princess."