11 | HE HAD A DATE

[ i'm caught up with the show so far and distraught this is why i hate writing fics as the show is still airing but it's worth it ]

☽︎

DEAN IS LYING.

[ season 1 — episode 5 ]

After forty more minutes of walking in the fading sunlight, the group found the structure Rose was searching for. The location was more uphill, and there was a fairly stable-looking chapel remaining, giving them walls for protection from any Guardians trying to spy on them.

"This location will definitely work. Bravo Team won't suspect a thing," Meredith said, looking around. Then she began giving instructions. "Dean, you'll be midpoint of the relay. Herk, you keep watch over the church. You see anything, you signal Dean. I'll stand by first guard here. Two flashes, and I come running. Stay low, stay quiet."

"Got it," the boys chorused.

"And Eddie and I will stay close to Mish," Rose finished, sharing looks with a smiling Eddie and Mischa. She was finally confident that they were going to be able to do this. "We can do this. I know we can."

As Herk and Dean broke off to take their positions, Meredith shot Rose a smile. "Now that was leader-y. Not bad, Hathaway."

"Not bad yourself, Beckham," she replied, smiling as well.

"Wow," Mischa said with an impressed smile. "Rose and Meredith paying each other compliments."

"Bet Hell is feeling a bit chilly," Eddie joked.

Rose laughed before pushing them both to the chapel. "Yeah, yeah, get in positions. We've gotta make sure Mischa survives the night."

Mischa looked up at the sky, noting that the chapel didn't actually have a roof. The stars were finally out as the sun sank below the horizon. It wouldn't be long at all before the Guardians came and attacked, so they had to be ready.

Like most vampires, Dimitri was religious, but the Guardian couldn't remember the last time he prayed like this. He'd seen enough horrors of the world to know that God wasn't some end-all-be-all solution to the problems of the Dominion, though faith still helped to keep him together. There wasn't time to pray when he was out there every day either risking his life or training children to grow up and risk theirs, meaning most were quickly said in his head as he went about his hectic day.

So, for Dimitri to take the time to be on his knees in an empty church and praying ceaselessly, he truly had to be desperate for a solution — any solution. He hadn't prayed like this since losing his last charge and friend. 

Every time he closed his eyes — and sometimes when he didn't — his mind conjured up some horrific image of Mischa being torn apart by the same Strigoi they captured. That was what he hated even more. Dimitri helped keep the Strigoi alive because he'd been following orders, and now Mischa was trapped outside of the wards with the same monster hunting her down. And Strigoi craved Moroi blood more than anything else.