05 | THE SPECIALIZATION

WELL, I KNEW I WAS SAFE WITH YOU HERE.

[ season 1 — episode 2 ]

The entire Dominion was watching as television cameras pointed at Lissa. The streets of the city below were packed, and they could hear them cheering and chanting from inside the ceremonial chamber, ready for the Specialization Ceremony. They were already making bets and waving flags, supporting their own elements while hoping the future Queen represented them.

Lissa stood in front of four bowls on top of short stone pillars. One held a white feather, another a pile of dirt, one was full of water, and the last had burning coals inside. In the chamber, everyone grew quiet and kept their eyes glued to the Princess.

She began by holding out her hands while speaking in Old Moroi, which was required. First, she tried to control the water, but only weakly raised it to a small peak before dropping it. Next, Lissa called on the fire, which did burn a little brighter before dying right back down. When the feather began to float, it only rose a foot above the bowl before she dropped it, unable to keep it in the air for long. The dirt was only moved around when she tried to harness it.

Outside, they could hear people becoming uneasy. Specialization Ceremonies weren't meant to take this long. They were likely beginning to doubt her. Mischa grabbed the sides of her Council cloak nervously, silently praying that something would happen.

Lissa took a deep breath before putting both hands out again desperately. And suddenly, fire lept up from the bowl and enveloped the others, taking over the other elements. Cheers erupted in the room and outside and everyone watched her declare the same magic as her brother. Mischa sighed in relief and clapped for her sister.

"She's Fire," the Queen said with a smile. "Like Andre. A good omen."

Lissa smiled as she looked at Victor and Mischa, who both were happy for her. But then she looked past them, at the corner, and saw Christian with his hand outstretched and glowing. It wasn't her doing the magic, she realized. It was him. As Lissa's face fell, Mischa followed her line of sight and saw what Christian had done for her. She couldn't find it in herself to be upset, as it kept anything horrible from happening to Lissa.

The camera feed was cut as people outside were chanting Lissa's name. Time was given for the other Council members to congratulate Lissa while some attendants fixed the bowls containing the four elements. Though it wouldn't be televised, there was one banner of each element waiting to be unrolled from the turrets on either side of the chamber to reveal where Mischa belonged. Already, a fire banner was hanging down from the rightmost one to signify Lissa's declaration, waiting for a left-side banner to join it and complete the Dragomir line.

"Good luck," Lissa told her sister when it was time for Mischa to go.

"Thank you," Mischa said quietly. "I think I'll need it."