19 | TRAINING

[ this is a low-drama chapter, which i think we need. not any even mischa and dimitri interaction, but there will be plenty of those next chapter ]

YOU MAKE HER HAPPY, AND TRUST ME — IT IS HARD TO MAKE MIA KARP HAPPY.

[ season 1 — episode 8 ]

"I think I'm dead," Mischa groaned.

Rose let out an amused snort while offering Mischa a hand up. "You're not dead."

"No, you've killed me," she insisted while getting up. Day one of 'Operation Rose Makes Mischa a Badass' had begun as soon as the convoy returned to St. Vladimir's Academy. Rose had just finished swiping Mischa's feet out from under her while testing her reaction time, which led to the Moroi falling flat on her back. And that led to childish grumbling, which, admittedly, was the most words anyone had gotten from her in the last couple of days.

It was difficult to get more than a few syllables out of Mischa on the trip back to the Academy. Really, it was hard to get any syllables out of anyone. Rose wasn't talking to Lissa, Lissa wasn't talking to Rose, and god knows Dimitri wasn't talking to Mischa. They didn't even ride in the same cars when going back.

Mischa stayed glued to Rose's side as they piled into one SUV and Dimitri escorted Lissa back in another. Lissa was, admittedly, a little confused about the tension between Mischa and Dimitri. The twin would have to wait and find out at a later time, as no one seemed to have a moment of downtime once they got home.

That was by design, of course. If Rose and Mischa were too busy training, they couldn't think about Lissa and Dimitri. So, they ran off while everyone was sleeping and used one of the empty, indoor training rooms that no one ever used and got to work. Mischa was quickly learning that watching the Novices train and actively participating were two very different things.

"Alright," Rose said with a small smirk. "Let's go back to hitting basics. That Camila girl did a fair enough job teaching you to punch Jesse."

"I mean, I didn't learn specifically to punch Jesse," she mumbled, dragging the toe of her sneaker across the ground innocently. "Felt really fucking good, though."

Rose led Mischa to a dummy used for hitting and got her into the correct position. She'd shift her hips the right way and make sure the fist she was forming wasn't made in a way that'd only cause her pain. Each time Mischa would punch the dummy, it'd wobble a little bit, but it was evident she was missing out on that genetic Dhampir strength.

That wasn't to say she was weak. Given that she'd continued exercising with Mikhail even after finishing up the prescribed physical therapy after getting out of the hospital for the car crash, she was stronger than most Royal Moroi girls her age, which Rose was happy to see, as they weren't starting from nothing.