Twenty-One

Evie couldn't help but worry that her dad was going to lose everything. She knew all that he had done. But he was still her dad and deep down she still loved him.

That morning, she woke in bed and sighed. The door opened and Bailee walked in. She looked to her. "I've been thinking. I know my dad has royally screwed you over. But... please don't take everything from him. I still love him," she said.

Bailee sat on the bed. "Is that what you thought? That I was going to take everything from him? Not at all. I just meant the baby. I'm not letting him take the baby. I still love him too. But I'm not going to let him take her from me," she told her.

Evie sighed and nodded. She smiled. "You probably think I'm stupid. For acting like this."

"No. I think you're someone who loves their father. I'm just not letting your dad take my child from me. No matter how much he begs me."

"Thanks Bails."

***
Evie walked into school. She saw her dad standing with Kim Campbell and sighed. She walked over. "Stop this custody thing. Please. You can see the baby. Just stop the whole custody thing."

Max rolled his eyes. He looked to his daughter. "I'm doing this because I know Bailee. She won't let me see the baby. This is my second chance. I messed up with you. And I won't mess up with this baby. That's a promise."

Evie sighed. "What if I talked to Bailee? Got her to agree to joint custody?"

"Like she will."

"She will. I'll talk to her. Please. Just stop the custody thing. It's for the best dad. You know it is," Evie said as she walked off.

***
Evie was sitting in the common room. She looked to Tom as he walked in. He smiled. "You okay?" He asked as he looked to her.

Evie nodded and smiled. "I'm okay. Just trying to do this maths homework before I lose my mind. I hate maths," she said.

"English is your favourite subject. And not just cause you're with me," Tom told her with a wink.

Evie rolled her eyes. "Yeah. You wish. I just don't like maths. I've never liked it," she told him. She smiled. "I don't think you're that bad."

Tom laughed and nodded. He smiled. "I'll help you. Come over tonight. We can talk and then I can help you," he told her.

"Okay. I should go. Don't want to be late for science."

***
Evie walked into the office. She saw her dad and sighed. "Do you think that you're going to stop this custody?" She asked.

Max sighed and looked to her. "I don't know. I don't want to lose this chance to be a father again. I know I've done wrong by you. And I want to put that right," he told her.

Evie nodded. She sat down. "You've done the best you can for me. I'm just a teenager and I love causing hassle," she said.

Max smiled. He knew he had a long way to go before him and his daughter got to where they needed to be. But could their relationship ever be fixed?