Twenty-Two

Evie knew she was trying to keep it all together. She felt like she couldn't do it though. She felt like everything was falling apart.

She knew how she was trying to stop her father from engaging in a custody battle with her best friend. She was trying to keep her relationship with Tom working.

She didn't know how much more she could handle. But she knew Kim was the problem with Max and Bailee. She was instigating so much. And it was driving her mental.

All she wanted was her life to be far less complicated. She was sick of it. And she trying to somehow make it work.

She knew she was going to somehow make it work. She just didn't know how it was going to happen.

When morning came, she was sitting in bed. She looked to see Max as he walked in. she groaned. "I didn't do it," she said.

"Bailee called. She wants to talk about the baby. Do you know what's going on?" He asked.

Evie shrugged and sighed. "I've told you. She doesn't want to fight you. I think she just wants to make sure you're not taking the baby," she told him.

Max nodded. He sat on the bed. "Well if we can come to an agreement, then I won't take things further. But if it doesn't work, then I will be talking to my lawyer."

Evie just nodded. Sick and tired of her father trying to make it so much more complicated.

***
Evie went into school. She looked to Bailee and walked over to her. "My dad tells me you're meeting to talk about the baby?"

Bailee nodded and sighed. "Yeah. I'm just not in the mood to go against Max Tyler for my baby. It's not in my plan for the next few months," she told her.

"Well I'm glad. I know how it was stressing you."

"Yeah. How's it going with Tom? I saw you had a small row yesterday," Bailee said as she looked to her.

Evie shrugged and sighed. "It's nothing. Just a small disagreement. And I just don't know what's going on. But the crap with my dad isn't helping at all," she said.

Bailee sighed. "I'm sorry. This is my fault."

"No it's not. I'm just glad that you're sorting it."

***
Evie walked into toms classroom. She looked to him and smiled. "Hey. I wanna apologise for the other night. I just... I don't know. Everything got too much for me. The whole situation with my dad. And I took it out on you. I'm sorry."

Tom smiled as he pulled her close. He kissed her lips and smiled. "I forgot you. I know things haven't been easy. I don't want us falling out over something so stupid. Let your dad deal with this himself. You need better," he said.

"I know. But I think they're sorting it out now. So let's just leave them to it," Evie said.

***
Evie walked along the corridor. She saw her dad with Kim and frowned. She listened into their conversation.

"Max. You need to tell Evie. Tell her that you are taking the baby from Bailee. And that you need her to leave," Kim said.

Max shook his head. "I'm not telling her anything."

"Tell her Max. Or I will tell everyone the truth about your past. And what happened to you," Kim told him.

Evie frowned. But just what was Max hiding from her?