Chapter 17 - If god has favourites, I'm not one of them

Tommy didn’t know how long he sat there, sobbing and shaking in the rain, before Ranboo and Tubbo showed up. All he knew was that one moment he was alone, breathing harshly into the night, and the next there was a small pop and two figures appeared in front of him, purple particles dispersing as they slowly moved closer.

“Toms?”

Tommy couldn’t bring himself to look up as Ranboo crouched in front of him, laying a gentle hand on his shoulder. He just shook his head, his eyes screwed shut against the onslaught of tears that wanted to spill freely down his cheeks.

“Come on Toms, we’re gonna take you home.”

Tommy only managed a small nod before another, smaller hand was placed on his other shoulder. There was another soft pop, and then the rain was gone. Tommy cracked his eyes open slowly, glancing around the dark apartment. Everything was painfully normal, not a single pillow on the couch out of place. Tommy almost wished the world was reacting to this as much as he was. He wanted the apartment to crack and fracture, he wanted the lightbulbs to pop and the sinks to overflow onto the floor. But everything sat, normal and quiet, perfectly placed in the room around him.

How truly horrible.

“You should get some sleep,” Tubbo said quietly, tugging gently on Tommy’s sleeve to help pull him to his feet. Tommy just nodded, stumbling towards the couch and falling face first onto it. A hand carded gently through his hair, and Tommy let out a broken sigh, listening distantly to Tubbo and Ranboo’s worried voices as he slowly faded into sleep.

For once, Tommy didn’t have any dreams.

………………………………..

Tommy didn’t go to work the next day. Or the day after that. He barely managed to pull himself off of the couch to use the bathroom during the day, purposefully avoiding meeting Tubbo and Ranboo’s eyes whenever the two were home. Tommy could only take solace in his nightly patrols.

On his third day of missing work, Tommy found himself sitting on a rooftop, legs dangling over the edge and kicking absently in the open air. His mask was still on but Tommy had pulled his goggles up so they rested on top of his head, hidden slightly in the curls of his hair. The cool night air caressed his skin, sending a shiver down his spine as he stared out at the city. Cars honked and dogs barked and sirens sounded, but they were all background noise to Tommy’s own thoughts. He couldn’t quite wrap his head around it, no matter how much he tried. Wilbur, dorky, loud, stupid Wilbur couldn’t be a villain. He didn’t have the backbone for that.

But Tommy knew what he had heard. No matter how much he kept trying to convince himself otherwise, he knew the truth. 

Wilbur Soot, his Wilbur Soot, was the infamous supervillain Siren.

God really hated Tommy, huh?

“Theseus?”

Tommy jumped, resisting the urge to shriek as he hopped to his feet, spinning on his heels and doing his best not to go toppling over the side of the building. A single figure was standing behind him, the man’s large wings folded behind his back as he raised his hands in surrender.

“Hey, hey, it’s just me.”

“Oh,” Tommy sighed, running a hand through his hair. (His goggles were still off. Oops.) “Hey Zephyrus.”

Or should I say Phil.

Zephyrus smiled at him from behind his veil, moving forwards to look out over the city next to Tommy. Tommy turned back around, turning his attention back towards the city below. After a few seconds of awkward silence, Zephyrus spoke up.