chapter XI

m o n s t e r

♤♡◇♧

"Gross," you exclaim while you and Leon stood surrounded by dead, mutated insects. One of them lay by your foot making you step back swiftly. Your gaze lifts to the still-hanging hive a few hundred feet just above your head. You then look to Leon, who was silent, so you decided to speak up.

"Theres a crank over there," your arm outstretched as you pointed in said direction. "Looks to be connected to that platform." You finished your statement before taking the lead and making your way over where you'd pointed. You hadn't checked to see if he was following, for, the only thing on your mind was finding Ashley and getting the absolute hell out of here.

You groaned out as you began turning the lever, watching as the platform began to move.

"Wait," Leons voice caused your eyes to move from the platform to him. Your brows furrow in confusion, before looking closer at said platform. Chains were preventing the platform from dropping. You hear rustling from Leon's direction then a gunshot, then another.

The platform, free of its binds, dropped harshly making a bridge to the other side. You moved ahead Leon again by walking quickly over the newly formed bridge before grabbing both doorknobs of the ominous blue door, twisting them and opening it to reveal a quiet room, chairs lying around. Your ears picked up a small scoff from Leon before feeling his arm brush yours while he began to walk ahead of you.

You'd followed behind him all the way outside before he halted his movements, hearing a ringing coming from your direction. You reach your hand down and grab onto your transmitter they hadn't been of use until now.

"Salazar," your voice carried a low growl, while your fingers clenched tightly around your transmitter, wishing it was his neck.

"I wonder if you can see me Ms. Cadou." His use of your last name forced your eyebrow to twitch.

"If you hurt her, I'll break you in half," you began to lose your patience at the sound of his voice.

"First, we shall see if you can make it this far. I'll be waiting." The transmitter turns black from the call ending abruptly. Your teeth clench as you harshly place it back into your pocket, letting out a huff.

"We'll get her back and go home," Leon tilts his head in your direction, eyes softening. You keep eye contact before he breaks it to reach and pull out his binoculars.

"There she is," Leon confirmed Ashley was okay, before urging you ahead and over the bridge ahead.

•••

"Ashley!" Here you stood, beside Leon as Ashley kneeled just ahead, two spears keeping her solid in her place on the floor.

"Leon! F/n!" Her voice is full of terror while her wide eyes met yours and Leon's. Leon swiftly moved closer to her before halting in his movements. The both of you hadn't noticed Salazar sitting comfortably in his thrown just a few feet from Ashley's kneeling form.

"Mr. Kennedy, don't you know when to throw in the towel?" You had moved to stand just behind Leon as you watched Salazar raise his arm and harshly slam his fist onto a red button built into his chair. The room began to rumble around you before you lost your grounding.