chapter XII

c l o s e

♤♡◇♧

Your fingers grasped your opposing shoulder as to feel for bruises. Earlier, they'd been engulfed in pain due to your actions. Though, your shoulder hadn't ached at the graze of your fingertips, so you replaced your shoulder with a pistol. When the elevator came to a halt, Leon stepped out, orbs focused on the sight in front of him.

"Looks like a small research base." Your brows furrowed, walking ahead of Leon toward a table. Your eyes making contact with a small stack of papers lying off the edge of the table. They crinkled in your hands whilst you unfolded the pages finding a familiar name.

"Luis' Memos." Your eyes widened, twisting on your heel to face a similarly shocked Leon. His fingers swiping them away from you to read for himself. You tapped your foot on the ground, waiting to either have your turn or him to explain. To your luck he began speaking softly.

"The plaga is a parasite that was dug up by Salazar and those people out there." The papers rustle as he re stacks them in his hands.

"They were infected by spores of the plaga, turning them into what they are now." His eyes met yours, a grim look falling upon his features.

"Gonados," you spoke, watching Leon nod as to state your correct.

"These were regular people and now they're mindless tools for some cult." Your head lowered, eyes closing at the sound of his voice.

All these people-- Luis...

"Hey," a warm hand lands on your shoulder.

"We weren't given a choice." Leon reminds you that there was almost no way you could cure everyone and not get killed in the process. Especially since there didn't seem to be a cure.

You rose your head only to meet his eyes once again, blue and sparkling like always. You nod as Leon pulls away slowly, his hand patting your shoulder before he turns swiftly and begins opposite to you. A feeling began to churn inside of your chest whenever his eyes would meet yours. It caused your heart to thrum away, hearing its beat echo into your ears loudly.

This cannot be happening.

He's my partner.

I barely know him.

Thoughts fluttered behind your eyes while you thanked the universe for keeping them inside your head, following shortly in tow trying not to lag behind. You mentally cursed yourself when you'd almost tripped and fell into him. To this, you'd heard him scoff knowing he'd heard you grunt from losing your balance.

Can we just find Ashley?...

•••

You'd been following Leon's lead while the two of you survived several randomly placed attacks from angry, shouting gonados. You felt the soles of your feet begin to ache due to almost never catching a break. You let out a huff, staring at the back of Leon's head.

"You alright back there?" Leon turned his head for a moment before facing the direction your steps were taking you.

"Yeah I'll manage, my feet are feeling sore that's all." You placed your pistol in its holster, stretching out your fingers.

"Should've worn better shoes." Leon nags softly, causing your stare to begin impaling him.

"Yea, so I can kick you with em." You mumbled, this caused Leon to chuckle making your cheeks flush, but your mind flicks to danger when Leon stops in front of a pair of doors. An eerie silence coming from behind. He turns to you and nods when you grasp your rifle in both hands, tightly.