Ice

(This chapter will have a few time skips)

It has been two years now since I got reincarnated. In that time I learned some things. One of them being that I got reincarnated into a different world. A world where magic existed but because of that there was no signs of scientific inventions. This world was similar to the dark ages, with kings and knights, just less dark. So it was more like out of a children's book. Also every person in the world was able to use magic. It doesn't matter if they were royalty or commoner, everyone had their own magic attribute.

Still having my memories, I knew from the start how to walk, talk and read. But getting used to a new body, the body of a child at that, wasn't as easy as I hoped. Even at the age of two I still had a hard time pronouncing complicated words.

I also found out about my family situation. I was born into the Van Dine family, a noble family in the clover kingdom. My mother was a high politician or something. My father was someone they called a magic knight. They were the army or police of this country, they protected the people. I also had a brother named Kil, who was nine years older than me. Of course all of them had their own magic. My father had water magic and both my mother and my brother had the ability to control sand. But I didn't discover my magic jet.

(Timeskip)

I was now four years old and I was sitting in the Garden reading a book about magic theory. My brother was practising magic together with our mother, when one of his sand spells got out of control and headed straight for me. Out of reflex I closed my eyes and pulled my arms up. When I opened my eyes again, I saw a wall of water in front of me that protected me from my brother's spells. But father wasn't home and we never had any servants that could use water magic. Did I do this?

From then on I was taught how to sense mana and how to control it. My mother taught me how to create things and how to heal.But my father was the one to show me all the cool stuff like how to destroy a target or how to make a barrier.

More and more time passed and in the winter before my six's birthday, I discovered something. I was at the lake in the forest, which was part of my family's property. Normally I would come here to train my water manipulation. But because it was winter the lake was frozen, so for me there was nothing to train with there. Instead I decided to skate on the ice.

After some time it started to snow so I decided to go back home. The forest looked beautiful, covered in snow. I held out my arm and snowflakes landed in my hand. They were beautiful as well, but they melted so fast in my hand and left nothing but water droplets. "Right, ice is just solid water." I thought out loud. At that moment I had an idea.

Wait! Ice is just solid water! I dropped my ice skates and ran back to the lake. Using my magic to control water basically means that I can control the water molecules. So when water turns into ice it doesn't become anything different. The only basic difference is that in water the molecules can move around and in ice they stay in a structure. So that means...

I finally arrived at the lake. But it took me a moment to catch my breath. Why did my legs need to be so short? Then I pulled up my arms so that my palms faced the lake. I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate. I felt how my magic ran deep within the ice. I heard a loud and deep cracking noise, I pulled up my arms and when I opened my eyes, I saw giant plaits of ice floating in the air.

"Yay, I did it!!!" I screamed so loud that probably the entire forest heard me. I jumped around with my hand in a fist, triumphing over what I accomplished . But that broke my concentration and the ice fell with loud splashes back into the water. I guess science remains the same even in a world full of magic. Unbelievable that it took me six years just to notice that. But I guess magic came so naturally to me that I never thought about the science behind it. After that I tried some other things like turning ice into water and back. Time passed fast and I didn't notice when it got dark.

I hurried through the dark forest back home where my brother was standing in the front door. As soon as he saw me, he walked over to me and started to scold me: "You are late. Where were you?" I was in trouble. I looked nervously to the ground: ""Oh. M-me? I was at the lake training." He raised a brow: "Training?"

"Y-yes",I stuttered. My brother's voice changed: "Don't lie to me, Victoria. It is deepest winter, there is no way you could have reached the water under the ice!" No, he wasn't scolding me, he was mocking me. I had to admit that he was cute when he was small but now he was just a brat. "What did you do, crouch down on the side of the lake and pick at the ice with a stone?" Now he started laughing at me. I wasn't nervous anymore standing in front of my brother, now I was pissed at him for not taking me seriously. I raised my head and looked him in the eye and said with all the last calmness I had left: "I will not waste my breath explaining my reasons to you, brother." I walked past him. "But If you really want to know, I'll be back at the lake tomorrow. If you excuse me, I will be going to bed now." I walked up the stairs, not wanting to waste another minute with him. I had enough experience from my past life to know how to end that conversation. He may be my brother but he was also an asshole.

I entered my room and took off my coat and boots. Before going to bed, I washed my face and brushed my hair. I put on my night dress and sat in my bed. Looking at my hands I thought about what happened today. I created a small water bubble and let it swirl over my hand. What do I do if Kil is actually going to show up at the lake tomorrow? Wait, there is no way he is coming. After all it's Kil, he thinks i'm weak. I popped the water bubble in my hand and turned off the lights.

The next morning was ... awkward.

After I got out of bed a servant informed me that my parents left early in the morning. Then I dressed myself and walked to the dining room. My brother was already there eating breakfast. I sat down, neither of us said a word. It stayed like that until I was done with eating. I stood up and left, finally escaping the awkward atmosphere. Now I was heading for the kitchen. I planned on staying at the lake for the entire day, so I wanted to ask the cook if he could pack me some food. He agreed but he said it would take a few minutes for him to make something. I used that time to go to my room and put on some warmer clothes. When I returned to the kitchen the cook had prepared a basket with sandwiches, cookies and something to drink in a glass bottle. I thanked the cook, took the basket and left the house.

I made my way through the forest, to the lake. It was colder than the day before. The parts of the ice surface I destroyed yesterday were now frozen up again. The next few hours I tried manipulating the ice in different ways. It took less mana of me than I expected. I also tried to turn water into steam, which was a bit hard because of the cold air. After a while I got hungry so I decided to eat something. I was about to take the basket when I heard a sound behind me.

Footsteps.