| 𝟏.𝟑

—

"Have you ever seen the hell in someone's eyes and loved it anyway?"

My eyes flutter open when a cold breeze brushes over my uncovered body. I blink away the milky haze and peer out the window that faces the ocean. I groan as I stretch my limbs above my head before halting. I feel around behind me and grip the unattended sheets. He's gone, but he can't be. I get up quickly and walk downstairs, fleeting my eyes around the room with furrowed brows. My thoughts became grim as I tried to think of where I went wrong or if I had said something I shouldn't have.

The light clinks off the wooden wind chimes calmed my senses, and I decided to continue looking around. When I arrive in the kitchen, I see a piece of paper pinned to the counter by a pocket knife. It read: Unfortunately, I was needed elsewhere, but I promise I'll call you immediately after I finish my unfinished business. But when I do, be ready. I'll need those lips.

I reread the last sentence repeatedly in my head, reminiscing how he made my body feel the night before with a beating heart. I scowl at the images flashing through my head and crush the paper, throwing it in the trash. "Good riddance."

I went back upstairs and gathered my belongings before heading outside, cursing loudly. "What the fuck?!" I wanted to pull my hair from my skull. This man thought it would be great to leave me in the middle of the woods with no directions on how to get back. I'm pretty sure the next street sign is two miles from here. He's lucky it's my day off. I pull out my phone and call someone I think could help me.

"Hey, Ryan, it's me. Can you help me by chance?"

******

"I'm surprised he did something like that; that's not like him," Ryan says, smacking on buttermilk pancakes.

I punch my fork into a sausage link and scoff. "Well, clearly, he lacks some decency. Thanks again for coming to get me; I know it was a long drive."

She waves me off and offers me some orange juice, which I accept. "It's fine. It gave me an excuse to get out of the house."

I sip the cold orange juice relishing the sweet, tangy taste. When I pulled up googled maps to get a rough time frame of how long it took to get there, it was a two-hour drive. I almost gouged my eyes out. I must've been too drunk to notice Creed had driven that long. "Tell me about it. I think I talked to more people personally yesterday than I have in several years."

Ryan chuckles and snags tapatío for her hash browns. "I understand, and compared to other towns in Washington; it's pretty small. Everyone kinda knows everyone."

I hesitate before saying, "that's creepy."

She shrugs. "It's the ways of forks, I guess. Hey dad! Can we get some more hash browns, please?"