| 𝟒.𝟑

—"

"..."

December

I tug on the sleeves of my sweater as I stare out into the cold winter. December had arrived in Forks, and so did the snow.

Riley loved snow.

Tears that wished to fall stayed behind my eyes, my waterline remaining dry as it had been the past month and a half. My world was quiet, as was the town after having suffered many losses that night.

Mother and Abuela kept their distance, but I could feel their presence in the doorway every afternoon at dawn. Just like how I could feel their presence, I secretly was suffering from severe insomnia and schizophrenia.

I saw him. Everywhere.

In the backyard, by the window in his room, in my room, or even while we're having dinner. I hated it. I hated this feeling.

Creed tried to see me as much as he could every day, but even he had grown distant with the need to get Forks in order. Creed took care of the afterlife arrangements for those who passed. He had been in many meetings this past month, upping security.

And even with Abby and her family gone, I didn't feel at ease.

Creed had told the town of Forks the half-truth. Abby and her family orchestrated this event because of personal reasons against him. To avoid any suspicion, Creed had told what was left of the council and police department that the Suttons had killed themselves out of guilt. They bought it, and the news spread like wildfire.

"Jamie?"

I blink, what was left of the sun hurting my eyes. Hands gently touch the curve of my shoulders before encasing me. "Mom."

"I made you some Beef Fideo. The bowl is small enough," she whispers, briefly kissing my temple before saying a small prayer and leaving.

The salty tomato-like smell wafted through my nose, and my stomach ached in pain. Reaching for some water, I chugged it down and tossed it aside. I was full now.

Groaning as I got up, I couldn't bring myself to stretch and walk towards my bed, laying softly on the cold mattress. Hugging the pillow to my chest, I breathed in Creed's scent. An idea lights up in my head, and I swipe my phone from the bedside table before stopping.

I don't want to bother him. I thought, biting my lip.

His name flashes on my phone, and I cough a gritty chuckle. "Creed," I greet quietly.

"Hey baby," his soothing voice said, sending goosebumps down my spine as I sank further into the mattress. "What are you doing?"

I sigh, "Wanting to see you."

Something closed over the line, and I heard a chair creak. "I can leave the office early. Just say the work, and I'll come."

A smile lifts across my lips. "If you aren't too busy...I need a nap right now."