| 𝟏.𝟕

—

"Those who are heartless once cared too much."

I watch her from the window.

Holding a glass of orange juice, I contemplated going down there and talking to her, but I couldn't do that to her. The smile she held was memorable.

Jamie meddled with the dirt, sifting it with her gloved fingers, and alongside her was her little brother, giggling at something she said. She was happy. Happier than she had been a week prior. I had left her alone to her thoughts because I didn't want to pry. Although being away from her sent a whipping pain within my chest, I knew she needed this.

Jamie directs her brother to scoop more dirt from the whole she created, and just as I am about to turn away, she turns.

Green eyes meet brown in an ungodly match of emotions. Hers were blank, and mine were curious about what she wanted. It was like we had an unspoken agreement whispered between us. She tilted her head before slowing a smile to fall across her lips as she said something to her brother. Her brother placed the large lavender plant into the ground, covering the hole, and clapping his hands gleefully.

Jamie needs his excitement, his youthfulness. Granted, she wasn't old at the age of twenty-six, but Jamie needed this light after what happened at the gas station. She needed something I wasn't.

I remained still by the window and watched them interact for a few minutes. Riley was a charming boy with brown hair and brown eyes, similar to his sister. They both seemed happier and cheery now that he was here. Not once has a smile left her face.

Downing the rest of my orange juice, I grab my tan utility jacket, pulling it on after placing the glass on the dresser. When I looked back out the window, they were gone, and I couldn't escape the frown that occupied my face. All too soon, though, my eyes find her walking towards a large shed. I watch her closely, her movements calculated and calm.

I trail my gaze along her body from the start of her boots. Her jeans hugged her nicely, the curve of her hip shifting with every step. Pleasant and appealing. My eyes meet Jamie's almost bare back, a yellow top wrapped around her lower back and neck, exposing her soft skin. When I trail further up, my eyes clash with hers as she peeks over her naked shoulder. Something in my gut tells me Jamie knows what she wants from me, but she wants me to chase her.

My little fawn doesn't know what she's asking for–my sweet Jamilyn.

I tilt my head and lean against the window. She blinks before trailing what could be seen through the window, turning, and brushing her braided hair behind her. The moment Jamie disappears behind the shed door, I race out of the house and walk with pace to the shed. I open the door to see her stripping her garden gloves and slamming them on the workshop table.