Real Family

“Family is who you make it.” Khloe Kardashian

 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.” “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”But they did not understand what he was saying to them. Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. Luke 2:48-52

 Kindred: “Similar in kind; related” New Oxford American Dictionary

 What family does an adopted child belong too more? Of course the answer is that they belong to the family who chooses to make the sacrifices, accept the rewards, and take the time to raise them, love them, and support them as family members. As humans, we share blood relations with specific people, but that is not necessarily who we share our kindred relations with. While having a father in heaven, Jesus was raised by adopted parents. Jesus knew His true relations, but He also valued and respected His chosen family. DNA is far less important in a family than love. A genetic family without love is no more a family than a room full of strangers. It doesn't share commonality, it fosters strife, and it is unproductive, even destructive to the plight of humankind. A family unit with love is far more likely to produce citizens that are productive to their cultures and communities. A family unit with love is far more united in values and interests. And a family unit with love is a family, whether or not its members share blood relations or not. If you don't have a family, it might do you well to seek one. If you know someone who doesn't have a family, it might do you well to accept them as a brother or sister. And for everyone who can't find a family, take comfort in the family of our Creator. I'm reminded of the Crystal Lewis song that states, “People get ready, Jesus is coming, soon we'll be going home.” Like Christ, we all have a family waiting for us that supersedes any earthly family we are born into. What a blessing we have.

 Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading

Jake