Chapter 5: the journey begins

A few days passed as Zuko started to get closer to the princess.

They would often talk about the outside world which Maya was curious about.

Time skip

Maya walked into the throne room as Zuko followed behind. The advisors stood up as Maya motioned them to take their seats.

"Greetings father." Maya gave a light bow.

"What is that you wish for?"

"I wish that you allow me to travel with the Firelord, the Avatar and their friends."

"You already have travelled everywhere in our nation."

"I mean-" Maya broke off as she thought for a second. "I wish to travel out of our nation."

The king immediately frowned but before he could say anything, Maya spoke up.

"I shall be taking the throne soon. To be a good leader for such a vast and powerful nation, we must know the outside world as well. The trades have started again. Not knowing about them can be used against us."

Ashok sighed as he knew he couldn't convince her. "You shall go on one condition. No ordinary man should see your face."

"Of course." Maya nodded.

Zuko smiled as Maya walked away before following her.

"Firelord." Ashok called out in a cold voice.

Zuko stopped as he turned back to the king.

"If anything happens to my daughter, you shall be held accountable." The king left as he completed.

Time skip

Maya sat in the gardens as usual. The Firelord was about to join her but stopped. What was he doing? For the past few days, he had been following her around wherever she went. He didn't know why but he felt attracted towards her.

"May I know the reason you are standing behind that pillar?" Maya asked, not looking at him.

"Nothing. Nothing." Zuko shook it off. "When will we be leaving?"

"Tomorrow." Maya answered. She turned her gaze to him and looked deep into his amber eyes.

Zuko saw her ocean like eyes slightly change colours as the marble like pattern in her eyes swirled.

Maya broke her gaze as she put some distance between them. Just then a servant arrived.

"The preparations have been made." He told her and left.

"Someone is missing." Maya turned to him. "I can tell."

"What?"

"Someone from your life, is no longer part of it." She repeated. "Someone important."

Maya squinted as she locked her eyes on him. "Who is that? That woman... She looks like you."

Zuko stared at the girl wide eyed. "Do you know anything about her?"

"She had come to the kingdom a few years ago."

"Mother.." Zuko whispered.

"I suppose we shall be finding her." Maya walked back into the palace.

Time skip

The servants loaded their bags onto the bison as Maya watched them while having a internal conversation whether to go or not.

"You know what?" Maya walked away and returned with the dragon a few minutes later. "I'll be taking Snow."

The dragon bent down as Sokka ran over to the girl. "Can I pet it?"