🗀 Rejection: 8

The plan to have dinner at the Sano residence was suddenly cancelled as their mother went home early due to her boss giving her only half a day. Meaning, their mother had a little more time to spend with them before going to her next workplace.

"It's okay!" Shinichiro says, a little bummed at the fact that Airi and her siblings couldn't spend dinner time with them. "I'll ask you again next time!"

"I'm really sorry" Airi apologizes for the second time. "We'll be on our way now!" And with that, the three of them headed back home.

"How are you doing at school?" Her mother asks, stirring the curry while the teenage girl with wet hair read her school book on the dining table. "You've only got a few months left before you graduate high school too."

"I'm doing well." She replies, raising her knees up to her chest. "Just enjoying the remaining days of high school I guess" She adds, leaning her back against her seat, causing the ends of her hair to dampen the back of her shirt.

Unbeknownst to Airi, her mother had a soft smile on her lips. "That's good to hear then." She responded, dropping the lid aside before taking something from the top of the fridge. "I've talked about it with my co workers in my morning job and they suggested me this. I even talked about this with my co workers from my night job and they too suggested me this one."

Whilst the girl continued to read, her mother placed a brown envelope on top of her book. When Airi took a hold of it to see what was inside, she was surprised that she dropped it back on top of her book.

"What's this for?" She asks, lifting her head up to look at her mother.

"Enroll yourself in a cram school, Airi." Her mother advises her. "If you do, you'll receive pointers on how to improve your drawing or painting, you'll meet other people like you who aspire to do the same or hear tips from non first timers." She goes on. "Although you'll come home late, I'll make sure you, Takashi and Luna will have something warm to eat."

Sighing softly to herself, Airi hid the brown envelope under her book. "I'll think about that. But thank you."

Her mother was delighted about Airi's consideration before returning back to cooking. "Since you're almost graduating high school, you should go and date guys too!"

"Eh?!"

"What about that boy from the hospital? He looks really in love with you!"

"We went with him today at the museum!"

"Taka!"

"Oh really? You should have told me about that, Airi! Did you two just go to the museum? Nothing else?"

"No!"

"Why not? Next time I'll bring Takashi and Luna with me. We'll stay a little longer outside while you two spend time here."

"We're not like that!"

. . . . . . . . . . ♡

Ignoring the ringing of his phone inside the pocket of his pants, Shinichiro knew it's his grandfather calling him, telling him to go or else he won't re heat his dinner. Because he honestly doubts that Izana, Mikey or Emma knew how to operate a phone by themselves.

He recalled the time when Airi had told him that she and her younger brother would stop by the convenience store near their home to get yogurt drinks. And he may or may not subtly be late for their gang meeting just so he could spare himself another few minutes to see and talk to Airi.

Honestly, he's never been head over heels for a girl before. His friends had suggested that he should meet other girls rather than face constant rejections from her, but he was too stubborn to listen. He already met her family, gone on little dates (yes he likes to call it that way) with her and even drove her home. Surely he'll get a sweet 'yes' from her soon.

Just thinking about the times and days he's spent with her got him smiling stupidly while holding onto a small bottle of yogurt milk. Customers entering inside the convenient store looking at him weirdly. What made Shinichiro bring back to his senses was when his body jolted when he could see Airi holding hands with Takashi while carrying take outs in a brown paper bag. Immediately he set his drink down and sat down on a chair, trying to look as calm as possible. Totally not waiting nor anticipating her.

"Sano kun?"

Shinichiro turned his head to look at her and gave her a smile, almost immediately standing up from his seat. "Ah! IwasjustheretomeetafriendwholivesherethenIwasverythirstysoIdecidedtostopbyhereandtrytheyogurtdrinkyourecommendedwhilesittingdownandIfounditreallydelicioussoIsatdownherebecausetheweatherissowarmandperfectwhiledrinkingyogurtmilk."

Takashi had his eyebrows furrowed at him, trying to recall what he just said but couldn't make any out of it. Meanwhile, Airi smiled and just nodded her head.

"I see." Was all she replied since she couldn't understand anything from his explanation. "I'm glad you're liking yogurt milk too." She adds.

Shinichiro chuckles softly. "Us meeting isn't a coincidence. It's fate."

Airi smiled and nodded her head again. "If you say so."

"I'll walk you two home!" He offers and with that the three of them headed to their apartment home.

"Thank you for walking us home." Airi spoke, bowing her head a little to him. "Stay safe on your way home too!" She said and turned around to enter their home but was stopped when Shinichiro placed his hand on top of hers, slowly closing the door.

"Don't you feel it too, Airi chan?" He asks her. "I feel like there's something between us."

Airi blinks to herself, confused at what he's telling her but decided to go along with it as well. "I feel it too, Sano kun." She says, turning around to face him before giving him a smile. "I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's feeling it."

"I've felt it a long time already. And I should be the one saying that." He says, slowly leaning his face to hers. Only for Airi to duck her head back.

"I feel a wall between us." She immediately replied, opening the door and quickly getting inside. "Goodbye and go home, Sano kun!" And with that, she closed the door in front of him.