1- Buddies

It was a typical Bikini Bottom day, nothing less than the usual for Squidward.

He had just gotten back from his daily bean run, and had pedaled all the way back home, tiring as it was. From afar, there was what appeared to be a yellow cereal box in the distance, but as he grew closer, Squidward knew it was something else...SpongeBob.

SpongeBob SquarePants was Squid's worst nightmare. He was always showing up at his door, peeking through the window, and casually made an appearance in his bathtub every once and a while.

Like a leech, a tiny, annoying leech that was everywhere Squidward was. The unavoidable turd was the worst thing that's happened to him since...well, since forever.

SpongeBob was friends with almost every fish in bikini bottom. He knew everyone's names, and had no issue talking to people. A better was to describe him could be: the complete opposite of Squidward.

Squid liked to keep to himself. The quiet was nice when it wasn't interrupted by the squeaking laughter of a sea sponge. He preferred to stay inside, paint, play his clarinet, and just...relax.

But Spongebob has always been his number one source of stress. Whether it was at his job, his house, or anywhere in Bikini Bottom, Spongebob was also there to ruin it. He was undoubtedly the worst thing that ever happened to Squidward.

The sponge, however, had been acting extremely clingy. More clingy than usual, which was already a weight on Squidward's back. He had no choice but to ignore it as well as he could. Didn't SpongeBob have other people to nag? Didn't he have actual friends?

SpongeBob had always called Squidward a friend. A best friend, even. But he never once thought that. They were merely coworkers and unfortunately neighbors. His plot of land wasn't even enough to keep SpongeBob out.

And then there was his idiot best friend, Patrick Star. When the two were put together, their stupidity increased easily by 100%.

Spongebob had been incredibly clingy lately, more so than usual. He didn't really think much of it, because, well, that was his thing. Spongebob was clingy with everyone.

Living between the Spongebob and Partrick was Squids worst nightmare. Squidward wanted to move away from them so badly, but he could never find a replacement to take up his residence. His house wasn't the problem. It was the two surrounding it.

Squidward hoped that one day, someone would show up and agree to move in. But if that were the case, they'd have to be just as stupid as Spongebob and Patrick.

Anytime someone came close to buying his house, those idiots somehow managed to ruin it for him every single time.

Spongebob sat in front of his door, waiting for Squidwards arrival. His heart raced with anticipation every day they met. He never got sick of seeing Squidward. It was as strong as his love for Krabby Patties, if not stronger.

The store was out of beans, so Squid was in a worse mood than usual. He did not have time for this. All he wanted was to play out his daily routine, but things were never that simple.

Spongebob looked over and saw a lanky figure on what appeared to be a bike, and he immediately knew. It was his beloved Squid. He longed to meet him, embrace him and tell him everything, but he knew he couldn't. Things weren't ready yet. And he had to be ready.

For the first few years, Spongebob only ever viewed Squidward as a friend. A really, really good friend.
But throughout time, things escalated faster than Eels and Escalators.

By that time, Spongebob had made everything about Squidward. He had pictures of his precious squiddy on his walls, squiddlys vacuum which spongebob was supposed to return, but never did, a custom made Squidward blanket as a gift from Patrick, a tattoo that says "squiddlys other half," because of the tattoo that says "Spongly's other half" which he secretly gave him while he was taking his nap break during work. Spongebob loved more than anything watching his love sleep ever so beautifully.

He even changed his email to yoohoosquiddy@bubblemail.com. Everything had to be Squidward. It was all he wanted; all he needed.

His whole life was Squidward. He loved him after all.

Squid, just was yet to find out.