Chapter 3: "When God says 'Move!'"

Rain. Out of all the days it could have rained, it was raining on the day of training. Thankfully our training was indoors… somewhat. Knuckles had taken us to the Master Emerald Chamber to show us how to command it. Well, to show Silver how to command it. I just stayed to help Silver. Being his fellow protector, I help balance Silver's ability to control chaos energy, and he shielded me from too much chaos. A fair trade.

Tails and Dr. Neuron had put a shelter up outside so they could still work on the Portal. They said that nothing would stop them from starting.

Hours passed and Knuckles had us break for lunch. So, since it was still raining outside, we had a picnic in the Emerald Chamber.

Silver had brought the basket and we had turkey sandwiches. This was a treat, seeing as Knuckles didn't like poultry enough to raise a flock, so even store bought turkey was nice.

Silver ate his turkey sandwich and looked at the Master Emerald. I look over at him as he shakes his head. "What?" I asked.

"It's still hard to believe that I'm the apprentice of the Guardian of Angel Island," He said, not looking away from the Emerald. "More so I'm going to be the Guardian someday."

I smiled. "And with how well you're coming along in your training," I said. "I have a feeling that you're going to be great. If the Emeralds don't vanish on you like with Knuckles."

"Hey!" Knuckles said. "I resent that!"

Silver and I laughed. It was fun to tease each other. The Chaotix and I often did the best pranks. Mostly on Knuckles. I lean back and smile as I eat my sandwich. My mind wandered over past adventures; Meeting the gang, coming to Angel Island, accidently throwing fruit on Sonic's head and him chasing me for it. I smile at these memories, glad to have met these guys.

Suddenly the Emerald brightened and my spine tightened. I almost drop my sandwich and shiver.

"Em!?" Silver asked before his fur stood on end. This sense came from being Knuckles' apprentice, telling him something wasn't right on the island.

Knuckles apparently sensed it too. "Tails!" He said. "And the Doc!"

We all get up and race outside. The rain had worsened into a thunderstorm. I never liked lightning; after being caught in a storm like this, I never wanted lightning to come that close to me ever again.

We raced to where the portal was and found that chaos energy that was making it work was going haywire. Tails and Dr. Neuron were working at getting it under control, but it seemed useless.

"What happened?!" Knuckles shouted over the storm.

"Lightning struck!" Dr. Neuron answered. "It's overloading the system!"

Silver and Knuckles instantly got to work trying to control the energy. Metal soon came out to see what the commotion was. "Operative M?!"

I look up just as a bolt of Chaos Energy struck out from the portal and nearly hit Metal. This caused some of his systems to malfunction and he lost balance. I soon noticed that the wind had gotten stronger, and blowing toward the portal. I moved forward to balance Metal and realized that the portal was sucking anything close to it inside the vortex. And Metal and I were caught in the cyclone.

"SILVER!" I shouted, fear gripping my heart as Metal and I slid toward it.

Silver looked up and eyes widened in fright. "EM!" He shouted as he used his ability to catch Metal and me, but it was clear that using his ability for two different things where wearing him out quickly.