Diamond in the Rough (Part 1)

[So this chapter is more set a couple months after the events of hero mode in splatoon 3]

Shiver and Frye walked through the dessert, golden sand crunched underneath their feet. The blaring sun heated the world around them. A ghost town was sighted in the near distance "We should go check out that town Shiv! There could be something good in there!"

"Mhm." Shiver replied.

As the two walked closer to the seemingly abandoned town as wailing sounded from one of the buildings, Frye and Shiver couldn't tell which one as it rebounded off all. As the two closed in on the source of the sound it became quieter and quieter "Shouldn't it be getting louder?" Shiver muttered.

"Yeah, you're right." Frye whispered back.

"I'll go first and check it out, stay behind me." They responded crouching to get underneath the rotted door.

Once Shiver was in the building Frye followed soon after "I found the source of the sound.." Shiver murmured.

A small child sat covered in blood and sand, a splotchy hospital gown hung on their body. Sunburn, freckles and grey spots covered their tan body. An axolotl like tail emerged from underneath the gown, it was mainly grey with white spots. External gills in the same colour pressed against their head behind pointed ears. Short pink curly external gills covers their head similar to the 'hair' inklings and octolings had. Now silent tears rolled down the child's cheeks as a small whining noise came out of their mouth.

Shiver sat down to the child's weapon and set their weapon "Hey kid, can you look at me? I'm not here to hurt you." They said in the softest voice possible.

The child took a quick glance at the octoling and started wailing louder once more "DONT HURT ME!!" They screamed.

Shiver quickly analysed the situation and stepped back "The kid is an experiment from the metro. I recognise the gown, there were a lot like them. Maybe you could talk to them." Shiver whispered to the inkling beside them.

Frye nodded and crouched down "Hey there buddy, can you hear me?" The Lotling nodded "Okay, that's good. Now I am Frye and the octoling you just saw is Shiver, they came from the same place as you. We're here to help you, okay?"

The child nodded once more "Can I pick you up? I wanna take you back to our place."

A meek 'Yeah..' was the only response she got, Frye carefully picked up the child avoiding all wounds. Frye stood up and looked at Shiver. Shiver nodded and kicked down the door, which was quite easily thanks to the rot, and stood outside waiting for Frye and the child. Frye walked out and Shiver started on the journey back to the base.

[That is the end of this chapter, I hope you enjoyed. Any feed back is much appreciated]