CHAPTER TWENTY

I know I have taken a whole while to get this done but forgive my vast ideas coz as I edit I get myself intrigued by new ideas that make me push what I had already written down and do some more research on the new ideas in mind, my apologies🥺🤭.

****

"Your concentration is crucial Deirdre," she scolds.

"Do not get distracted, lift that basket with your mind. Successfully executing an act of magic is dependent on bypassing the conscious mind. To achieve this, it is necessary to enter into an altered state of consciousness in which thoughts are stilled, and awareness is held on a single point."

It has been four days since my training started and there was no improvement. I was getting frustrated by my failure. I stared at the basket set on the table ahead of me but my thoughts were only on Orion and Enmyria. They were probably making fun of me, calling me names over and over. I thought of Mason too he had a good heart but I had yet to know him fully. My presumed dead mother, my life, it was all too much.

"Deirdre!" I was yelled at jolting me back to reality.

"I'm sorry," I shouted impatiently.

"let go of your anger, your pain, whatever it is that will poison your ȝeft," I nod. ȝeft was the core, source and power of magic that was encased inside mankind that allowed them the ability to manipulate it into their bidding. I inhale and exhale ready for another attempt. Clearing my head I focus intensely on the basket. The basket moves but doesn't rise.

"harder," she says. The little act motivates me to do it better. I shake my head and give it another shot, but nothing happens, annoyed I hit the table with my foot.

"Ouch!" I yell jumping and grabbing my foot in pain. I remember lifting the goblet with my mind so instead I use the same energy on the basket. The only difference was that this energy was different from the previous one, this was positive and not negative. Composing my concentration together I gaze at the basket and almost as if that was all I needed, the basket lifts on its own just slightly above the table. Excited my little achievement jumped up and down.

"What is this?" I hear her say but I'm too excited to answer as I make another attempt on the basket that fell back onto the table
"I pulled it off," I tell her as if she wasn't aware, however, she seems to be lost in other thoughts. I shake her by her arm jerking her from wherever she had trailed to. "I did it," I repeat.

"Indeed," she says with little excitement.

*****

"Heard you managed to lift your basket," Valiant says sitting next to me. We had started to get along with time. He wasn't as bad as I thought. He was friendly and assisted in my little victory. Whenever he thought I was feeling emotional he would take me out to the forest and have me beat up the trees with the comfort words, 'If it makes you feel any better do it'. He went on to have my hands tied with heavy pieces of clothes so I don't hurt my knuckles again as they were still healing from my previous rampage.

"It was amazing. None of this would be possible without your help." I say.

"Are you still gloating about that little magic trick you did back there?" Cyris says standing before us. "When some of us can just-" she interrupts herself. Snapping her hand the lit torches go off, her eyes glow a golden colour. Then as suddenly as they went off they light up again. She raises her hands making the flames rise higher and intense. "Do that."

"Careful not to burn down the shed trying to gloat," Valiant calls her out. I chuckle at her.

"Cyris," I say beckoning her to get closer which she does. "Have you ever controlled nature?" I ask. She shakes her head but not before letting us know that that's impossible, I am quickly to decline.