CHAPTER TEN

Deirdre?

Who was Deirdre?

I woke up hyperventilating, my lids opened. My thoughts based more on the lady in the forest. Focused more on what she said. I hated the slightest idea of riddles. I love it more straightforward. If it is meant to hurt then let it kill me.

She spoke of a girl, Deirdre, no wait she called me Deirdre. I knew my name to be Taliyah, not some Deirdre. She must have confused me with someone else. This supernatural phenomenon that's been haunting me for some time now I felt unsafe and burden-some. I jerk at a sudden finger's touch.

"Calm down, you're safe." I turn to the most beautiful voice. Sitting beside me was a handsome young man older than I was. His short chestnut hair was neatly combed. His coal-black eyes, goodness, were the epitome of it all. He was not as big as but neither was he small. His body frame was perfect.

It was easy to tell that he had been keeping fit. I roam around the room, I see soldiers his age eating by the corner camped around a fire and an older man who is not dressed in armour like the others. The old man who is about my father's age is searching in a bag. I attempt sitting up but winch at the slight ache in my back.

"You have made a remarkable improvement-" The old man says sitting beside me. "-in a couple of hours," I get jittery at his words what if they think am a witch? Most people burnt them at the stake in the belief of them being evil.

"This is Gerald a royal physician." The man says. He bares this regal allure in him. Gerald examined me for a while before handing me a tonic.

"I don't know if it's of any use since you seem to be in good condition" The young man helps me up as I take the bottle from Gerald regardless. With one gulp I swallow it all. Feigning as my tongue comes into contact with the liquid. I am served some bread and stew. I dive into the meal like the peasant I am. I'm halfway done when I groan clutching my stomach.

"what is it?" the handsome man inquires.

"a sharp pain in my stomach it's probably from being starved," I answer. Everyone else has slept aside from one soldier who stands guard outside the cave. I go on eating.

"what led to you being captive?" he asks still seated next to me. His query takes me back home the reasons why am I here. How my brother sold me for just a couple of coins. My mother broke down as she watched me being taken away. I ignore him and go on eating.

"Where are you from? What is your name?" he goes on. Irritated I fire back.

"why do you ask so many questions?" I ask creating an uncomfortable air that settles around us. I glance at him, his uneasy reaction tells me my words wounded him.

"Sorry," I sigh. Here I was being rude to the people who saved my life. How ungrateful he must think I am. He turned to spread out a blanket when I went on.

"I have no one," I gulp once I say that my eyes getting puffy. He stops to listen to me. "I'm an orphan, my parents abandoned me when I was born. All my life I have been enslaved till my master grew tired and sold me to another." I lie, partly. My life was not a thing to dwell on. To top it all up he was a stranger he could enslave me too or worse. My subconscious scolded me for judging him harshly.

"you can put all that behind. You are a free lady now." I raise my eyebrows at him. "you're free to do what you want, go where you want." He makes me smirk. I was free but not free in my heart. Leaving mother was a load I would carry for the rest of my life.

The forest was a mystery, difficult to navigate my way back. I was miles away from home. Going back would probably make mother's state worse. It was time to fend for myself. It was going to be hectic.