Chapter 3 - Hangover Cures

"Ugh, why did we decide to come here when we're hungover?" Calum moaned, leaning against a white-washed brick column. He was feeling miserable from all the shots he'd taken last night at the club.

    Ashton was in a similar state, headache, slight nausea, and sensitivity to noise. They both had off of work, and Calum had suggested the night before that they head to the Met the next day.

    Ashton wasn't sure why he'd agreed. He knew he needed to keep some space, but who could resist Calum's pleading eyes when he was practically begging? Ashton was known as the fun one, he couldn't ruin that by saying no to everything all the time. As long as he kept his emotional distance, it would be fine.

    "At least the light's aren't too bright and people are forced to keep quiet here, we really couldn't have picked a better place," Ashton said, looking at the map to figure out what district they were in. Based on the Greek pottery surrounding them, they were in that section. He was too tired for this. "Besides a library,"

    "That's true. But I'm bored, I don't even like art."

    Ashton looked at him and scoffed, wincing when he turned his head too quickly.

    "Why would you suggest we come here then?"

Calum shrugged. He figured that Ashton, a sophisticated, funny man, would like art. And honestly, he had just wanted to do something with his coworker to finally become friends with the man, and when Ashton had surprisingly agreed, he mentioned the first thing that popped into his head.

"I thought it would be a cool experience," he ended up saying. He couldn't admit to Ashton that he thought he was awesome and desperately wanted to be his friend. That would come off too clingy and concerning. He had to play it cool.

    "Whatever. Let's just walk around for an hour, go get some greasy food, and then I'm going to go home and pass out."

    Not only was drinking an exhausting affair, he had hardly slept at all the night before. That Leroy sure knew what he was doing. The two had hardly had their eyes closed the entire night—except for when they broke out the blindfold. Ashton had snuck out of his apartment around 5am when Leroy had finally gone to sleep, not even leaving a note to say goodbye. He wanted a good, clean break, where hopefully the man wouldn't be able to find him again. He wasn't into the 'seeing someone again' thing, and tried to keep all aspects of his life casual.

    The two walked in companionable silence, pointing out art they found cool or weird. After a little bit, Calum's stomach led them to the food court to get some burgers and french fries.

    "I feel quite a bit better now,"

    "Me too," Ashton said, quietly belching, then smiling. He always underestimated the wonders a burger could do for him.

    "Want to head out, or do you want to finish up? We still have African Art, as well as Arms and Armor left,"

    "We're here, let's just finish up," Ashton shrugged. He had nothing better to do today, and as he'd said, they were already there.

    Calum grinned at that, pleased that Ashton was seemingly enjoying spending time with him. He sort of got the vibe that Ashton only wanted to be 'work friends' with him, but this proved that they were able to move past that into actual friends. He wanted to be friends with the man, there was just something about him.

    "Okay, we need to go that way then," Calum instructed, pointing to the left.

    Ashton got up, throwing away his and Calum's trash, before walking towards the next exhibit.