Chapter 12 - Wild Weekend Repercussions

"Order up!" Kevin called, ringing the bell to alert the server that his order had been completed. Usually Ashton was standing right underneath the counter, pestering the cook into rushing his order, or putting extra something on the plate to make the customer like him better.

    It was rare to find him standing in the corner of the kitchen, arms crossed, staring into space and not focusing on anything.

    With a curious frown, Kevin set his towel down, walking around the counter to check on his favorite server.

    "Ash?" he called gently, walking in front of him only to jump back when Ashton gasped and swatted at him. "Shit!"

    "Oh my god, Kevin, I'm so sorry," his hands flew to his cheeks and he stepped back. "I didn't expect you to be right there, did I hurt you?"

    Kevin chuckled, slowly bringing his arm up to Ashton's, the man's pale skin contrasting with his darker tones.

    "No, son, yah didn't. What's up with you?"

    Ashton shook his head.

    "Nothing, I was zoning out, just thinking,"

    Kevin smiled, taking a step back to lean against the counter.

    "That's what I smelled, smoke from yah brain when it tried to process things."

    Ashton rolled his eyes with a fond smile.

    "Whatever,"

Kevin smiled, taking steps towards the back before hesitating and turning to face the brunette.

    "Hey, if you ever need to talk 'bout anything, you know who to come to."

    Ashton nodded.

    "Thanks, mate."

    "Good." Kevin patted his arm twice. "Now get yah damn food off my counter and out to the customer, it's gettin' cold, damnit." With a laugh, Ashton collected the tray and carried it out to the dining room.

    He did a quick sweep of the area, making his way to 34 and setting the tray down on the little stand he'd previously set up.

    "Let me know if there's anything else you need," Ashton said, quickly turning away and walking back to the kitchen. He resumed standing in the same spot, staring into the distance instead of going to check on his other tables. He didn't want to be out in the dining room for too long.

    "Ash, help me clean off 25? I have a big group coming in and they're impatient," Calum requested (some might day demanded) as he bustled into and just as quickly out of the kitchen, barely pausing long enough to finish his sentence.

    Ashton followed behind, not wanting to get lost in the business of the restaurant. He and Calum made quick work of clearing the table and getting it set up for the next group. Calum went to greet his new party and Ashton was left off to the side, anxiously staring and trying to make himself look busy, but he was so tired.

    "Mate, are you falling asleep against the wall?" Calum questioned when he entered the kitchen later in the night. Ashton had his arm up against the pillar, his forehead resting against his arm. Kevin heard the commotion and peered nervously through the window, watching the boy sway on his feet and shake himself awake. He blinked as he looked around, smiling when he saw Kevin and Calum staring at him.

    "What?"

    Calum looked at him in confusion.

    "Are you all right? You don't seem like your normal self, Ashton."