Chapter 6 -- The Life of a Rich Man

Ashton scoffed as he waited at the curb.

Luke had texted him saying that a car was going to pick him up after his shift.

A car.

How rich was this dude that he could send a service to pick Ashton up to take him on a date? What was Ashton getting himself into?

A black car pulled up in front of him, and he stepped to the side, wondering why a Porsche had stopped in front of him. The car followed him, passenger window rolling down.

"Are you Mr Irwin?" a man in a black suit and funny hat questioned. Ashton now understood why Luke had asked for his last name earlier in the day.

"I am, who's asking?"

The man smiled.

"I'm Mr Hemmings' driver, Harry. I was asked to escort you to where he's waiting for you,"

Harry got out of the car, walking around the back and opening the door for him.

"And exactly where is Mr Hemmings waiting for me?"

"At work," answered Harry, gesturing for Ashton to get inside the vehicle. He sat down, still facing out so he could talk to the chauffeur.

"Let me guess, he's some mysterious business man who's the CEO of some classy company that I know about, it's the most obvious thing in the world, and he's trying to impress my by making you be discreet," Ashton rolled his eyes, lifting his arm up to hold the door so he could run if he had to.  "He doesn't own Apple, right?"

Harry laughed, chocolate colored curls bouncing as he shook his head.  The door snapped shut after Ashton tucked his legs inside before Harry quickly returned to the front seat of the car.

"No, Mr Iriwn, he's not the CEO of Apple. Nor is he some mysterious business man, he works on Wall Street, he's a loan officer." he responded once he got in the car. He started the drive back to Mr Hemming's office. "He's not instructed me to be discreet, either, I think you watch too many movies,"

Ashton grinned.

"I'm a sucker for a good rom-com," he admitted with a shrug. "And do call me Ashton, no need for formalities with me."

Harry nodded, his hat slipping forward just a bit. He righted it before focusing on the road.

The interior of the car was all cream leather, there wasn't a bit of dirt or speck out of place. The back held seats facing each other, a glass partition separating him from Harry in the front. Right now the glass was all open, so they could chat.

"So where is his office then?"

"It's in Lower Manhattan, about a 25 minute drive. It's only about 12 blocks, but you know city traffic is," Harry shrugged.

Ashton hummed, looking out the window with his arms crossed.

"So tell me about your boss, then. What should I know about him before walking into this?"

Harry smiled. He found Ashton endearing, he completely knew what Luke had seen in the man. Luke had come back simping all afternoon, something rather rare for him, and Harry didn't get it until now.

"Well, Mr Hemmings is an important man in finance, he's well known by anyone on Wall Street. Got a bit of a temper in the board room, but with his friends he's more laid back."

"Got it." That was a bit too generic for Ashton's liking, he could have guessed that just by observing the man at his restaurant. Ashton would have to find out from the man himself, and he got all jittery thinking about it. He liked the bit of mystery about Luke.