Chapter 18 - Employee of the Month Goes to...

*TW again. Probably for the next few chapters. A synopsis for this chapter will be at the end (just skip to the last page it'll be in bold), for those who can't read about mental health struggles*

"I can't believe he really closed this place down for us today!" whispered one of the employees, happily taking another chicken wing from the plethora of baskets in front of them.

All the employees of Neighborhood Bar and Grille had been given the day off. They were still expected to come in for lunch though, to partake in a restaurant-wide employee appreciation brunch.

Carter had gone all out, ordering from various nearby restaurants to get food that everyone would be able to eat. He'd had the closing staff move all the small tables into a giant rectangle and put the chairs around them so everyone could be a part of conversation. He'd even gone in early to decorate the place with a few (pitiful) streamers and balloons. But everyone appreciated it all the same.

"Jules, you're eating pub food, it's the same shit we make her," Calum rolled his eyes as he munched on a roll.

"But it's different pub food," Ashton countered, grinning as he remembered telling Luke something similar a few days ago. He was sitting at the head of the table with Calum and Louis on either side of him. Carter was sitting at the other end, smiling up at him occasionally, causing Ashton to look away each time. Carter hadn't come on to him since the last time he was at Ashton's house, but still, the looks he was getting made him nervous. This was something different.

"Exactly, Ash! See, I knew someone would get it."

"Are you sayin' I don' know how tah make good food, girly?" Kevin growled playfully, pretending to poke the younger girl with his fork. She giggled and squirmed away, eyes lighting up.

"No, I'm just saying sometimes a change of pace is nice,"

Kevin huffed but winked good-naturedly as he returned to a conversation he was having with one of Louis's friends, their newest addition to the team. He was a dishwasher at the moment, but everyone saw him quickly moving up. Zayn was a good kid, just out of high school, but he worked hard and they all liked him.

"All right, all right," Carter obnoxiously clinked his glass as he stood up from his seat. Everyone's eyes were drawn to him, but he was only looking ahead of him at Ashton. The brunette ducked his head, not liking this attention. How could he politely make his way out of here before something happened?

"You okay?" Calum leaned over to whisper as Carter was making a joke to get everyone's attention.

Ashton nodded, taking a deep breath before focusing back up again.

"—And I'm just not sure how I could ever repay all of you for your hard work. I know this isn't even close to making up for all the overtime, and the staying late, and time away from your families, but I'm hoping to keep doing things like this just to show you how appreciative I am,"

A light smattering of applause filled the room, Ashton joining in belatedly when he realized what was happening. He'd zoned out again.

"And in other news, our restaurant is being recognized tonight for LuxLife Magazine's "Best Restaurant and/or Bar" award." A shocked gasp went up throughout the 40 or so staff members present. Carter had kept that a secret, even from Louis and Kevin who were in charge when Carter wasn't present.

"For real? Mate, that's amazing!" Exclaimed Louis, who cutely started bouncing in his seat. He was proud of the place he worked, and it showed.

"Yep! The award dinner is actually here in the city," Ashton felt eyes land on him and looked up from where he was picking his nails in his lap. Carter's eyes were boring right into him, and he shivered in trepidation. He felt something was about to happen, and he figured he wasn't going to like it. "And I was given the honor of attending and bringing someone along with me. Someone whom I would like to recognize for his tireless work that often seems to go unnoticed because he never complains, and is always cheerful no matter the circumstances."