Chapter 25 - Work Time Confessions

It had been a week since Ashton had returned to normal life. Luke had finally let him have his own space back. He'd sort of unofficially moved into Ashton's apartment for a few weeks, but Harry had picked up the last of his stuff just yesterday, and now Ashton's space was once again his own.

    He tried to be okay, but he couldn't get over the threat Carter had loomed over him. Every time they made eye contact, Carter's eyes twinkled mischievously and Ashton knew eventually something was going to happen. He'd been coming into the back more often than usual, talking mostly to Ashton, checking on him, pretending to be concerned with how he was, even trying to get them alone when no one was around. Ashton did his best to avoid it, but Carter was good. He couldn't help it sometimes.

    He'd been getting sick in between customers every shift. Every time Carter would leave him with a jaunty little wink and a blown kiss goodbye, he'd beeline to the bathroom to get rid of everything he'd recently eaten. It hurt sometimes just to talk from all the bile. He barely ate because he knew that eating would just make him get sick even more. It wasn't healthy, but he didn't know what to do.

    Sleep was nearly impossible too. All his dreams were invaded by Carter sneaking back in, Carter trying something and being unable to stop it. It was hardly a way to live, but he didn't know what to do about it. Not when Carter still had those photos of him.

    "Carter seems to be hanging around quite a bit more," Louis noted, absently wiping down some glasses at the bar whilst Ashton sat down to eat on his break. Calum was finished for the day, but decided to stick around and do some extra side work. Ashton was working a double, but Calum only had the morning shift. Even though being at work was making him sick, Ashton knew he needed the overtime. He'd gotten two bills in the mail that week alone, and he knew more were coming. It was only a matter of time.

    Ashton stayed silent, but Calum nodded.

    "I know, it's weird, I can't figure out what he wants. Do you think someone is stealing again?"

    A few years ago, someone had been stealing stock from the back and taking it home. They had five children and couldn't feed them, so they thought the best thing to do was take stuff from the restaurant. Whilst Carter was conducting a little investigation, he hung around the restaurant a little more often than normal until they found the culprit.

    "No, he didn't mention anything to me," Louis shook his head. As second in command, he knew what was going on most of the time. "It has to be something else,"

    "I need to pee, be right back," Ashton said, abruptly standing up. He nudged his plate of nachos forward, knowing he wasn't going to eat anything anyway. He'd only taken a few bites and pushed the rest around. Calum and Louis would probably finish it while he was gone, so it didn't matter.

    He went to the bathroom, not peeing, but thankfully not being sick. He hadn't seen Carter in a little while—the man was definitely lurking—but thankfully Ashton was able to stay out of his sight for most of the morning. He wasn't sure what the afternoon would bring, but he hoped it would be quiet, for the sake of his mental status. He could feel a breakdown happening, and it wasn't going to be pretty.

    He had abandoned the therapy techniques he learned in rehab. They weren't going to help him here. No amount of deep breathing or counting back from ten would erase the damage Carter had done to him.

    Once he washed his hands, he exited the small bathroom, only to be met with someone's chest in the hallway.

    "Jeez, you scared m-," he faltered, as he lifted his eyes to be met with Carter. He couldn't even be shocked. The man just smiled happily.