Chapter 23 - Making Improvements

Ashton wasn't doing anything, really.

    He spent the next week and a half after his discharge from the facility lounging around his house and taking short walks with Luke when they felt they'd been inside too long and were going stir crazy.

    It still surprised him that Luke hadn't left him. Not even for a moment. Through every breakdown he had when he got upset, every moment he smiled at something on the TV, or when Luke played him songs at night on his guitar—he never left, and he never did anything to make Ashton uncomfortable.

    He'd just gotten out of the shower. He'd woken up from a nap in a cold sweat (nightmares were a new part of his sleep time ritual), so Luke told him to relax and have a nice hot shower. Unable to say no to that thought, he drew a bath and focused on breathing and bringing positive memories to the front of his mind.

    Once he'd finished cleaning up and changing, he walked outside, frowning when he heard voices from the living room. With his hair still wet and the towel hanging around his neck, he padded outside, peeking his head around the corner. He saw Luke leaning against the front door, conversing with a man with bubblegum pink hair. It was styled to one side, pin straight and wispy looking, assumedly from being bleached and dyed all the time. He had a concerned look on his face as he spoke softly with Luke. Once he noticed Ashton hiding in the corner he looked up, a small smile growing on his face.

    "Oh, hi! I'm sorry to drop by unannounced," he apologized, hand rubbing the back of his neck. He shifted his weight back and forth as he looked between Luke and Ashton.

    "Ash, this is Michael, one of my colleagues and my other best friend."

    Ashton nodded, stepping into the living room a little more.

    "You mentioned him when we first met, he and Niall are your two best friends, right?"

    Michael beamed.

    "Yeah! We all work for Luke, well Niall is technically his partner, but we all work in the same office."

    "That's nice." Ashton sat on the armrest of the couch, rubbing his hand on the towel as drops of water rained down on him from his hair.

    "Well, anyway, I don't mean to intrude, I'm sorry to bother you," Michael said to Ashton. Then he looked to Luke. "I'll email you those other files, Niall's been handling the issues with..." his eyes flickered to Ashton, like he was unsure if he could say something.

    "It's okay, I trust him. He's not going to say anything."

    Michael nodded, eyes still on Ashton for the moment.

    "Okay, well, the problems with Apple then. We'll send you all the briefs and I'll have the stenographer send you her copies of notes from any other meetings you'll miss."

    "Thanks," Luke nodded, clapping his friend on the back. "I owe you all big for this,"

    "Not at all, it's no problem Luke. I hope you feel better, Ashton."

    "Th-thanks." The two spoke for a few more minutes. Ashton hesitated, chiming in during a quiet moment. "Uhm, do you...want to come inside? I think we might have some sandwiches left," Harry had stopped by a few times to bring groceries and make them food. Ashton enjoyed his company, and sometimes Louis or Calum tagged along.

    Michael smiled warmly. Luke looked shocked at Ashton's invitation.

    "Thank you, Ash, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, my boss is a real dickhead, and I have to get back to work or else he might fire me,"