Chapter 13 - Real or Fake

Robredo Residence. Morning.

"Alis na kami." Aika called as she made her last few pats to Rocco before heading to the car. Leni was already downstairs and followed her.

"Ingat kayo!" Jillian waved as the sedan went.

"Di yan titigil si Aiks, definitely." Tricia said as she was also slowly prepping to head to work,

"Grabe naman imagination niya kung ganun." Jillian replied and a little confused, "Mama wouldn't hide anything from us ever...right?"

"Definitely not." The older sister answered, "Pero, if mom is hiding something from us. I guess merong dahilan kung bakit."

Metro Highway.

A few minutes in and both mother and daughter have not said a word since they left the house. Leni was afraid to start a convo with her because it might open up about Racer X again.

8:15 on the clock. Leni thought as she looked at her watch. I need to visit Risa by 9 am. But I am stuck with Aika now. I hope my plan works. It's a little risky.

I just need to believe.

"Japanese yung bisita today?" Aika finally spoke, her attention focused on the road.

"Ah, yes." Leni warmly answered, "Mr. Sakamoto is a long follower of the NGO, so he really made an effort to come here from Japan to have a meeting with me and Jeff."

Keep it going Leni, just stay calm. Keep talking.

"Businessman siya, noh?" Aika asked,

"Yep."

As they slowly approached another highway, the daughter changed the subject.

"Sorry about kanina." Aika said, gently pressing on the brakes as they reached a stoplight, "I should learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes."

"Hey, it's fine." Leni assured her, "I understand you love to deal with theories and stuff. I'd say it's creative."

Did I say the right words?

"What if I told you." Aika replied, "That it's not a theory, ma?"

"Nak?"

"As I said, there's that 10 percent chance that you are Racer X." Aika then stepped on the gas as the light turned green, "You know I will hold on to it until I can prove that 10 percent."

"Then what if that 10 percent is false?"

"You know too well that it isn't, Mama." Aika glanced at her mom for a bit.

Leni tried her best not to look nervous. Aika may have known something about her mother's other self. Although her daughter has a strong gut feeling that Leni is Racer X, she needed more proof.

Or perhaps...she is using this kind of word tactic until I tell it to her straight away.

It will not happen, nak.

Until now, I will keep you guessing. I will avoid and make every excuse I will make in the book. I need to make a bigger difference than being inside an office. I need to be there for the person I care about.

I need to see Risa now.

"I respect your views on that then, Aika." Leni replied to her daughter's statement, "But don't forget. I'm still your Mom."

"Of course that will never change, Ma." Aika smiled. Her mood then shifted, "But just letting you know: I hate Racer X."

Shit.