Chapter 31

Albion

Dad stood by the door to the mudroom, watching Dawn leave. I stared at the edge of the worktable, picking at the grain in the wood with my thumb and trying to will myself out of existence. As soon as the back door closed he sighed and turned around. I glanced up at him for a moment, just long enough to see the sheer exhaustion in his face. I focused on the edge of the table again as he sat down across from me.

"I'm guessing that wasn't your first time," he said.

I shook my head, unable to look up at him. I could feel him watching me, though. He shifted forward and fold his hands on the table.

"Listen, I know we've talked about...this sort of thing, and, uh-" he cut himself off, chuckling and running his hand over his eyes. "You had a bit of reiteration from the most awkward source possible-"

I groaned, ducking my head lower and shielding my face with my eyes as the full horror of sitting on the Reynolds' couch with Dawn beside me during that lecture from her mother hit me all over again.

"Sorry about that, by the way, but it doesn't save you from talking to me right now. How long has this been going on?"

"Um--a f-few weeks," I said, trying to sort out just how long it had been in my head. Days and weeks tended to blend together still, even with the routine of school breaking things up. I couldn't remember exactly how long ago it was.

"You'd better have been using a condom every time," he said. I cringed, more than a little annoyed that I'd just completely wasted one. "And where the hell did you get them if Ryan had no idea?"

"D-Dawn g-got them," I squeezed out. The muscles in my neck were seizing up, tensing my jaw and making it harder to talk.

"Did you pressure her into any of this?" he asked. "I swear if I find out you're not listening to her or you're pushing anything she's not okay with-"

"Dad," I cut him off, disgusted he'd even think that of me. Or that Dawn would ever be swayed toward something she didn't want, by me or anyone else. "I d-didn't--I'm n-not--um--h-have you even m-met her?"

"Okay," he said, chuckling a little and shaking his head. "Good point."

He looked away, chewing the inside of his lip. His expression grew distant, and I turned my attention back to the edge of the table.

"You understand the level of responsibility you're taking on with this, I hope." I looked up at him, unsure of exactly what he meant by that. "You can say you're being careful all you want, but accidents happen. I don't care how hard you hit your head, if you get that girl pregnant you are marrying her and raising that baby. You do right by her; no discussion."

"D-dad," I frowned, folding my arms over my chest and looking away. There was no way that would be happening. We were very careful. The thought of being a father, now or at any time in the future, didn't have me feeling like laughing.

"Don't 'dad' me, Al," he shook his head. "You have no idea what that would do to your future. And that has nothing to do with your injury. I-" he stopped, heaving a sigh and shaking his head. "I'm not stupid enough to think telling you two to slow down is actually going to have any effect on what you do with your free time, but just think about what it is you're doing. And the consequences it could have. Every time you do it."

"Okay," I said, still doing my best to avoid any eye contact.

"If you get that girl pregnant, guess who's going to be the one telling her mother. And it's not me," he gave me a look.

The bell out front rang, saving me from anything more he may have had to say for the moment. Dad blew out a breath, running his hand through his hair as he got up and crossed the kitchen.