Chapter 2

“What about this one? It's closer to the house” Ashlee said as the trio sat at Aunt Lucy's table eating breakfast with the boys. Sam, who was the least annoying out of the two flipped through a comic book as he ate his eggs and bacon. Shelby leaned over to see the job opportunity Ashlee found.

“I'm not working at that video store, the guy that was working gives me the creeps” Ashlee sighed and continued to flip through job ads as Michael came down the stairs. He made his presents known as he let out an annoyed sigh. “She's back?” referring to his cousin and not much about the other two who he couldn't say if he liked them or not.

“Be nice,” Aunt Lucy sighed. Her son and nieces arguing was probably getting on her last nerve. Good thing she's so kind and patient.

“I thought we were gonna work at that chinese restaurant?” Nat asked, sitting on the counter and eating dry lucky charms straight from the box. “That would be a good place, I hear the pay isn’t that bad,” Lucy said, giving Michael his breakfast.

“Lets go check it out, the website says they open at 9 for breakfast” Shelby said putting her plate in the sink. Lucy quickly stopped them. “Do you three mind going to the carnival tonight with the boys?” Shelby looked over at the boys. Micheal was shaking his head no behind his mothers back and Sam was deep in a superman comic book. Despite Michael's pleas, Shelby smiled.

“Sure!” Lucy thanked the trio as they left.

“Let's roll,” Nat said, throwing the empty lucky charms box at michael. Crumbs hit his face as the box fell in his lap.

🔺▪️🔻▪️🔺▪️🔻▪️🔺

The restaurant was already crowded and loud but that didn't mean the place looked awesome. It had the usual chineses aesthetic. Dim with chinese lanterns and different dragon and cherry blossom tree paintings. The three weaved around a sea of tables and waiters till they got to the front counter. There was a little old Chinese lady yelling at a group of large teens in the kitchen.

The little old lady snapped back to the three making Nat and Ashlee both hide behind Shelby. “Yes, what do you want?” Ashlee quietly handed Shelby the ad making her do the talking. Shelby unfolded the ad. “Were here for the job ad” the old lady took a breath.

“Yes, yes. Of course” she smiled and patted Ashlee on the shoulder and led the three to the back as she spoke. “You two weigh tables” she tossed aprons and note pads to Nat and Shelby. The little old lady then turned to ashlee. “And you work in the kitchen with the two idiots!” the lady whipped her head towards the boys and put emphasis on ‘idiots’.ruckus filled said room and the little old lady grabbed her cane and started to shout in chinese. Shelby smiled and waved her off. “Yeah, you tell em”

“What did she say?” Nat asked, coming up behind her. “I have no idea” Shelby whispered back as she tied the apron on her waist. As the two passed the kitchen the old lady started swinging her cane around at Ashlee and the two boys.

The day went on pretty smoothly. Nat was currently at the front counter opening a shipment of fortunate cookies. When the sounds of motorcycle engines filled the eria. As soon as the sound erupted the little old lady came charging out of the back with her cane. “Those Xià huàile wippersnappers”

Shelby snuck in the back kitchen with Ashlee as four guys dressed in leather(all except one who had platinum blond hair). The first guy that walked in was the blond that wore a back trench coat. The next one had long blond hair and a leather jacket. The guy with the long hair locked eyes with Nat. They slowly sank to the ground hiding behind the counter. As they hid the old lady came charging at the littlest one and the trench coat guy. The littlest one who had curly hair doged the swing of the wooden cane.

“I’M SORRY MA’AM!” the curly one said and ran out slightly laughing as he ran out to his bike. The last one had long dark hair and a leather jacket with a cheetah on it. He looked up and saw Ashlee slightly peaking around the corner. He flashed a quick smirk at her, Ashlee went redder than Shelby’s leather jacket and hid behind shelby.

The long haired blond leaned over the counter to see Nat hiding. “You guys open?” he asked. Nat didn’t look at him and replied. “Not at this moment” 

Ashlee knew if they refused to take their orders there would be consequences, no matter how much the little old lady didn’t like them. Ashlee pushed Shelby out of the kitchen as she clenched her red and back leather jacket. Shelby sighed and took a small glance at the guys. She did a double take, she knew what they were. But the question was did they know what they were. More specifically shelby.

We don't talk about Shelby’s family or background but for the sake of the story we’ll do a quick run down. Shelby’s mother was a witch…like the Hogwarts kind, but that's just a story that is real. Anyway, Shelby is also a witch, she prefers a good witch. Nat and Ashlee are in training. Both they only got as far as making a feather float but it's a good start.

We’ll call it the witch tick, but something told Shelby they were vampires. She had been wrong before so she kept her mouth shut. Shelby locked eyes with the platinum blond guy and they both glared at each other. The blond in the trench coat didn’t take his eyes off of her. The glare softened but Shelby kept up the snappy look. Without a word Shelby walked around the group. As she did, the trench coat guy turned around and the two bumped into each other. The witch tick was back, as soon as they collided she felt death on him. She didn’t say anything once again and continued to walk.

The long blond guy flashed Nat a smile and leaned against the counter. “I need to go” Shelby gritted her teeth as she pulled her leather jacket on. She ran out of the building and started to walk down the street. She had to meet her cousins anyway so she made her way towards the carnival. She didn’t know how long she was walking but at some point Nat and Ashlee caught up to her.

“What's up with you? Are you okay?” Ashlee asked, coming up next to her. Shleby shrugged.

“They're vampires,” Shelby said blandly.