Chapter 8

The next morning Shelby woke up to see Nat and Ashlee watching the boys. The four of them were standing near the door where the sun was shining. She walked up behind Ashlee giving the four a questioning look.

“what are they doing?” she whispered. Ashlee shushed her and continued to whatch. The boys still not fully trusting the jewelry continued to dare each other to go first.

“you do it” Paul said to Dwayne. He shook his head and looked at David. “you do it David”

“why would a risk my ass? You do it Marko” Marko shook his head and held his hands up in surrender.

Shelby rubbed her face in frustration. “guys, come on I have to take my bike to the shop before work... The jewelry works”

Paul rolled his eyes and pushed Marko outside. He scretched and stumbled out trying to take cover. He Realized He was okay and slowly stretched out of his feadel position.

“hey,” he turned to the rest of them and smiled. “I'm not dead! It's okay”

“excellent” David said lighting a cigarette and going out himself. The rest of the boys were perfectly fine and continued to walk around getting used to the sunlight.

Before the trio headed out David helped load Shelby's motorcycle in the back of Shelby's truck and they were off.

🔺▪️🔻▪️🔺▪️🔻▪️🔺

After dropping the motorcycle off at Merrill's garage the trio headed off to the Chinese place for their shift.

“there are no such thing as vampires! Now get back to work!” the little old lady shouted as the three walked into the building. Nat snickered as they walked behind the cash register.

“but we saw him!” one of the teens said. He was one of 'idiots' that worked in the kitchen with Ashlee most of the time. Everyone there knew he wasn't the brightest bulb in the box but this time he was right.

“he was like... Six feet tall! And.... He had these yellow eyes!” the teen continued as he chased the little old lady around the restaurant like a lost puppy.

“Tyler!” the little old lady shouted and pointed her cane at the poor boy. “say it with me 'there are no such things as vampires'”

“but-”

She bonked him on the head with her cane. “say It!” he mumbled out the statement then sondered back into the kitchen with Ashlee and the other idiot.

The little old lady huffed and had an annoyed expression on her face. It disappeared when a certain old man walked in. Shelby looked up from the table she was cleaning and smiled.

“hay, gramps” it was the old man that Shelby and Sam call grandpa. He was a crazy old man but he was fun to be around.

“ah, Mr. Emerson, what can we do for you?” The little old lady smiled and held her arms out. He smiled and patted Shelby on the head as he passed by her.

“can I get some of your finest fortune cookies and...” before he could continue the little old lady turned to Nat.

“Nat!” Nat flinched and dropped the stirofome cup they were using to build a tower. “get this fine gentlemen some Cookies!” Nat nodded and scrambled under the counter where the fortune cookies were.

“and your phone number” gramps said confidentiality. Shelby awkwardly smiled and slowly backed into the kitchen to give them privacy. The little old lady smiled and gave it to him.