CHAPTER 16 - A PRⵊCE

ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴜʀɴ

If it wasn't clear already, Hawkins was royally screwed and ran over with a bulldozer three times in a row

The night that Sol and the rest of the younger teenagers went to gather the rest of their friends left a mark on Sol, a big, ugly, mark on her brain that she couldn't scrub out.

She had received a warning from her sister, this she was sure of, maybe more than anything before. She didn't need to see Adelaide's face nor an outline of her silhouette no, Adelaide's presence felt like that of twenty or thirty men all looming in the distance, just watching you. Her ability to occupy the mind seemed quite unnatural, she navigated the human brain as if it were a maze she spent her whole life in.

There had to be more to Adelaide's story, missing just wasn't gonna cut it.

But even with all those questions in her mind, Adelaide had pushed those aside the night before, like she was in full control, and instead, she delivered a haunting message, one worse than the fact that they were running out of time:

The world will fall.

Not just Hawkins, not even just the state of Indiana, the entire world would fall into the veiny and spiny hands of the Upside Down, no longer being held back by a barrier and having free range over everyone and anything. Of course, it was strange to think she hadn't seen it earlier, why would Vecna just stop at Hawkins when he could have the world? Why would the mind flayer stop? Beings like that have a way of recognizing the concept of limitations—till a bigger fish comes along.

But what the hell would Soleil do with that information? Apparently, keep it under wraps till Adelaide gave the go which was cryptic as hell. And as much as she would like to think that somehow she and the rest of the group could rise against all odds and defeat a force they have no way of measuring the power of in the end, that would be too much wishful thinking. To even have a chance at defeating whatever would rise out of that tear in time and space they would need an army, an army of people like Soleil, people like El, rare to find people but that realization brought up even more things to worry about.

And they had plenty.

It was a notion Nancy Wheeler was starting to add onto after she started to share what Vecna did when he entered her mind. As the rest of the group sat and listened to her in Max's trailer she spoke like a soldier, who was struggling to explain the horrors they had seen while at war.

"He showed me things that haven't happened yet. The most awful things...I saw a dark cloud spreading over Hawkins. Downtown on fire. Dead soldiers. And this giant creature with a gaping mouth. And this creature wasn't alone. There were so many monsters. An army. And they were coming into Hawkins. Into our neighborhoods. Our homes. And then he showed me, my mom. And Holly. Mike." Her eyes were blotched with tears. "And they...they were all..."