Volume 2: Black and Red Clouds CH9

The cold was suffocating.

Of the entire group, only Sasori was unperturbed by the unnatural atmosphere Esdeath's ice wasteland exuded. Attributed to his puppet body. The warming seals Minato, Jiraiya and Orochimaru distributed could only combat the frigid weather up to a certain degree.

The uncomfortable weather crept under their skin, suffusing through their bodies and reminding them of how dangerous their opponent was.

They landed at the edge of the battlefield, watching the four enemies vigilantly. Holding back wasn't an option, for the ninjas believed that the dragon could easily wipe Konoha off the map.

No words were exchanged as the two sides collided.

Tatsumi unleashed a deafening roar. It tore the battlefield, ice breaking underneath the shockwave it produced. The ground shook, glass shattered, and buildings cracked. Esdeath created a barrier around her and the homunculi sisters, allowing the wave to wash over them.

Minato stabbed a Hiraishin kunai into the ground, gathered everyone, then flashed away just as the attack reached them. Once the attack washed over the Hiraishin seal, another flash appeared as the shinobi returned as a group.

The remaining summons shrugged off the shockwave and jumped at Tatsumi. With him occupied by four large beasts, the remaining Akatsuki members were forced to contend with their opponents alone.

Shards and ice fragments scattered into the air, Esdeath taking the opportunity to manipulate them and rain down a barrage on the ninja.

In response, Rasa gathered the kicked-up dust in the air, preparing to counter her. Little remained of his unique golden dust, forcing him to use another kind of material.

Two different waves clashed in the middle, fighting for supremacy.

Esdeath grinned. The ice wave slowly froze the dust wave from contact alone. But for a brief moment, the exchange blocked Esdeath's view on the ninja. Orochimaru threw a number of explosive tags, then flashed a handsign, triggering the hidden explosive seals he snuck behind the dust wave.

Ice and dust scattered from the explosion, opening a path to Esdeath.

"Needle Jizo!" Jiraiya's hair lengthened and shot a barrage of hardened strands at the Akatsuki member. Esdeath waved her hand, using the scattered ice around her to intercept the projectiles, knocking them in different directions.

Four puffs of smoke appeared around Esdeath, the replacement jutsu switching the places of four S-ranks with the needles. She was forced to twist her body, avoiding impalement from Sasori's blade. The blade coiled back, returning to the chamber that appeared from the stomach of his puppet body.

Tsunade attempted a punch, only to get caught by Esdeath's hand. Hiruzen launched an attack at her arm, forcing the woman to let go of his student.

Kushina summoned her chains, used them to boost herself beside Esdeath, who didn't expect the sudden burst of speed from midair. A powerful fist slammed into her side, throwing her into another direction.

Finally, an opening.

Esdeath's miscalculation gave Minato an opportunity to disengage from their fight, having been locked on to him from the very beginning. Their best chance to beat Akatsuki was to seperate them into individuals and using the superior number to their advantage.

But even with the four shinobi summons, they were still capable of keeping up. Tatsumi's sudden spike in size and strength was the larger threat to the village as it currently is.