pt.1

The night was quiet as Xena and Gabrielle sat by the campfire. It had been a long day on the road. They ran into some bandits that were hassling some traveling merchants. They fought them off and sent the bandits running. Unfortunately during the fight, Xena sustained an injury. Luckily it wasn't serious. One of the bandits managed to land a sneak attack while Xena was distracted by the other bandits she was fighting. Gabrielle helped Xena clean and bandage her wound.

GABRIELLE
You feeling okay?

XENA
Yeah. I've been in far worse shape than this.

GABRIELLE
I know.

Once Xena was all patched up, Gabrielle got up.

GABRIELLE
How about some dinner?

XENA
Sure.

Gabrielle preceded to get cleaned up, then she prepared their meal. Once it was done, Xena went to get up to get her food. Gabrielle saw her wince in pain as she moved.

GABRIELLE
Why don't you just stay there. I'll bring your food over to you.

Xena settled back down as Gabrielle came over with their meals. She handed Xena hers as she sat down beside her.

XENA
Thanks. For the food and helping to patch me up.

Gabrielle smiled at Xena.

GABRIELLE
Of course. How did even get hurt by someone like that anyway?

XENA
Lucky shot.

After a bit they finished up and got out their bedding. They layed down and settled in for the night. Later Gabrielle was awoke. She thought she heard something. Gabrielle sat up and looked around in the darkness. She didn't see anything. Figuring it was just some wild animal, Gabrielle shrugged it off. She was about to lay back down when she felt a presence. Gabrielle let out a slightly annoyed sigh.

GABRIELLE
It's really late. What do you want Ares?

Ares manifested in front of her.

ARES
Oh so now you can sense me too. Yet one more thing you've learned from Xena I see. Impressive. How'd you know?

GABRIELLE
(Sarcasm) I felt my skin crawl.

ARES
Ouch. I do have feelings you know.

GABRIELLE
Why are you here Ares? Can't you continue your pointless pursuit of Xena during the day?

ARES
Pointless? Now I wouldn't say that.

GABRIELLE
Of course you wouldn't.

XENA
Get lost Ares.

Gabrielle looked over and saw Xena sitting up.

XENA
Don't you have anything better to do than bother us?

ARES
I have plenty to do thank you. But if you don't want my warning? Fine. I'll just be going than.

Xena figured this was probably just some trick. But she decided to indulge Ares for the moment, just in case.

XENA
Alright I'll bite. What exactly did you want to warn me about?

ARES
Oh not much, just an upcoming attack on Amphipolis that I happen to know about.

XENA
Mother...

ARES
I thought that might interest you.

Xena stood up and grabbed her sword, holding it up to Ares.

XENA
I'm warning you Ares if this is a trick. Or if I find out you have a part in this.

ARES
Relax. I'm simply a messenger, this time. No if you'll excuse me.

XENA
This time? What are you...

Before Xena could finish, Ares vanished. Gabrielle got up and went over to Xena.

GABRIELLE
What do you wanna do? Do you believe what Ares said?

XENA
I don't want to. But I think we should go just to be sure.

GABRIELLE
I agree. But what do you think he meant when he said that he was just a messenger this time?

XENA
No clue. But I intend to find out. First things first though. We need to pack up and get to Amphipolis. Come on.

Though it was still the middle of the night, Xena and Gabrielle gathered up their stuff and headed out. They traveled through the night. It was mid morning as they continued towards Amphipolis. As they quickly galloped down the road, Ares once again appeared.

ARES
You look like you're in a hurry. I take it you're on your way back home Xena.

Xena and Gabrielle stopped.

XENA
Now what do you want?

ARES
I just happen to have another little piece of information that you might want to know.

XENA
(Sarcasm) Well aren't you helpful today.

ARES
(Joking) Well what can I say. Guess being around you two so much, some of your decency has rubbed of on me.

XENA
(Sarcasm) I'm sure. Now spit it out what was so important that you showed up again.

ARES
Well I happen to know about another attack elsewhere that might also be of interest.

XENA
Right now I highly doubt that.

Xena moved around Ares and began to keep going.

ARES
You might not care but I know someone else who will.

Ares looked at Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
What are you implying?

ARES
It would appear that now Potidaea is also about to be attacked as well.

Gabrielle's eyes went wide in fear.

GABRIELLE
What?!

Xena stopped when she heard what Ares said. She got off her horse and stormed over to Ares, drawing her sword.

XENA
Now don't tell me, you have nothing to do with this attack either.

ARES
Honestly no. Like I said before, I'm just a messenger.

XENA
Oh I wasn't aware that the God of War had been reduced to an errand boy.

Xena's comment angered Ares.

ARES
Hey I was being nice and warning you about the attacks. And this is how you repay my kindness.

XENA
That's the thing you don't do things just out of the kindness of your heart. There's always a catch. So what is it this time? And just to save us time before you ask, no I'm not going to join you or lead your army. So don't even bother.

ARES
Well if that's how you wanna be, this will be the last time I help you out with this.

Xena knew that there was more that Ares knew about the situation but wasn't telling them.

XENA
You're being intentionally cryptic again. What aren't you telling us?

ARES
Wouldn't you like to know. I tried offer my help, but you turned me down.

XENA
If it means joining you, I don't want your help.

ARES
Have it your way Xena. But just remember you could've stopped everything before it ever happened.

With that ominous warning, Ares disappeared. Leaving Xena and Gabrielle confused as to what he was talking about. But they didn't have time to dwell on that. Right now they needed to figure out what they were going to do. If what Ares said was true, both of their home villages were going to be attacked. And obviously they couldn't be in two places at once. They needed to figure out what to do and they had to do it quick. Before it was too late.

TO BE CONTINUED...