Chapter 21: Disaster

Dan didn't talk much the rest of the day, only giving one word answers to questions.

Dinner time came quicker than  expected; everyone sat chatting about their day, Vee telling a dramatic story of how siege unfolded. Dan sat quietly as she picked at the food in her plate, not even eating half of it before standing up leaving her left overs to be finished by Carter, her excuse for not eating being 'not hungry' and going into her room.

Hawkins didn't believe that, Dan was always a big eater; never leaving left overs.

As the sun began to set hawkins made his way up stairs, stopping in front of Dan's door he could see the light of her lamp from under the door. He reached for the door handle but hesitated, what if she didn't want company?

The door opened and Dan looked at him blankly.

"Need something?" She asked with questioning eyes.

"You- well I mean to talk to you." Hawkins blurted his face turning a little red.

"Come in then, no need to stand at my door like a creep."

He nodded and walked in, the door closing behind them. The room was nicely decorated, the room was clearly pink themed; which didn't match her style at all, But some how it fits.

She sat on her bed crossed legged while he sat down on her desk chair. Dan hummed softly to herself.

"So what did you want to talk about Hawkins?"

"Well... Why are you so sure you're going to hell?"

The room became silent as Dan stopped humming.

"Dan, you're not going to hell. Look at what you've done to us and everyone down there on every single floor, you've freed an entire city from tyranny and have changed the lives of not only me but Brandon, Vee, Carter... everyone."

"That doesn't matter! This "new world" is built on so much death and sacrifice! I'm a murderer!"

"Vee has killed as much people as you! Do you see him moping around? Be honorable that you've achieved so much!"

Dan stressed, tearing up while gritting her teeth.

"What does it matter to you? Why do you care so much about me?!"

Hawkins looked angry, he quickly walked over and gripped her hand. He looked deep into her eyes, Dan looked pretty miserable.

"Because, I love you Dan!"

"NABBDJDIDBDIDONDBS" is what Dan said in her mind, that small blush on her face becoming a bright red. She became silent and Hawkins started to regret his sudden impulse. He backed away, clearing his throat.

"I'll.. leave you alone for a bit."

Hawkins left, closing the door as Dan laid on her bed not believing what he just said. After a few minutes, Vee walked inside.

"Hey, Hawkins looks a bit weird what did ya do to him?"

Vee walked beside the bed, being picked up by Dan and set on her lap. She calmed herself by ruffling and rubbing his ears, a small sound before he started to purr.

"I'm not your... stress ball....mm.. keep going.. actually."

Dan laid there for half an hour, quickly falling asleep. She didn't know how to face Hawkins after that, and she even thought about staying in her room forever. Though, she couldn't help but feel the same way towards Hawkins. 

Morning came and Dan awkwardly ate breakfast sitting across from Hawkins. They both refused to look at each other; the others looked around confused, did they get into a fight?