Prolouge

(A/N: Hey everyone! It's me, Cheetahpaw! Been a while, I know. I can't get back into my old acc so I thought I'd make a new one and start fresh. New username, new pfp, etc. Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there before someone thinks I'm a different person revising someone else's story without their permission, so I just wanted to clarify that it is me. With that out of the way, I hope you enjoy!)

———————————————————

Nala walked through the grassy fields of the Pride Lands, a bit far from Pride Rock. She knew today would be an eventful day. A few days ago, her closest friend, Nirmala, had told her that she would be leaving the Pride Lands in search of a better life. But Nirmala was expecting a cub a few days from then. She had asked Nala to raise the cub as her own. Nala was hesitant at first - she felt guilty that the cub would never know its real mother. But eventually, Nala accepted. Nala understood why Nirmala was doing what she was. A while back Nirmala had fell in love with a lion named Roho, a member of the Sun Pride, sworn enemies of Simba's Pride. Nala held nothing against Roho, as he was very kind, laidback, and overall fun to be around. Roho was the only kindhearted member of his pride. Nirmala was forbidden to join Roho in his pride, because Sun Pride simply wouldn't accept a lion from Simba's Pride. And Roho couldn't join Simba's Pride either, for two reasons. One: when they come of age, lions in the Sun Pride must swear an oath of unwavering loyalty to the Sun Pride and the Sun Pride only, punishable by death if broken. And two: Simba wouldn't trust them anyway.

Nala gathered her thoughts and made her way to the den Nirmala temporarily resided in. Her mind grew worried. What if Nirmala hadn't birthed the cub yet? What if it wouldn't happen until Simba and the others got back?

"Hello?" Nala called into the entrance, looking around.

"Nala?" A voice called back, the voice of Nirmala. Nala could barely see her in the darkness, but of what she could feel and hear, her friend was laying in a soft, grassy spot in the middle of the den.

Nala bent down and walked into the den. It was small and cozy. The rocks inside it were smooth and couldn't potentially hurt a newborn cub. About a third of the flooring in the den was soft, cool grass. The moment Nala walked into the den she felt a warm breeze blow against her fur. It was warm and comforting. The moonlight shone from outside, giving the den some dim light.

"Nala," Nirmala said again, her voice tired. "It just happened an hour ago. Come meet him," Nirmala then gazed warmly at a newborn lion cub, his fur a rich gold color and occasionally dotted with light brown spots.

Nala looked down at the bundle of soft fur in between Nirmala's front paws. "He's beautiful," Nala congratulated her, then leaned forward to give the cub a tender lick on his forehead. He responded by slowly opening his eyes. In the darkness Nala couldn't exactly tell what color they were.

Nirmala gave Nala a grateful glance. "He looks just like his father." There was an audible hint of grief in her voice. Nala was very sorry for Nirmala, as she had been through so much. And now, she was giving up her only cub out of despair. Nala had tried to talk some sense into Nirmala before, but she had refused to listen. "So," Nirmala spoke, breaking the silence, "are you sure you can convince the pride this cub is yours?"

"Simba will have no trouble believing that I had two cubs instead of one. It's very common for lions to have multiple cubs in a litter anyway," Nala replied simply. Having given birth to her cub, Kiara, earlier that day, while the entire pride was with Simba trying to make a peace treaty and build trust with one of the gorilla troops that lived in the mountains near the Pridelands, so no lion except Nirmala knew Nala had given birth to her cub yet.

"Alright then," Nirmala spoke, her voice now thick with grief and sadness. "I guess this is goodbye." Nala looked at Nirmala, both of them had tears streaming down their face.