The third wheel

She was right, I was wrong. And we had a fight. "It's never too late. Never too late to feel sorry, to say it and mean it." Sanya's words ringed in my ears. But I know that a 'sorry' can not fix the mess I have created around us. From our families to the office, everything is involved in it. I can never make it right again. Nothing's going to be the same. I lost. I lost everything. 

"Darshan, have some water." Shaurya, one of my oldest friends and Sanya's boyfriend spoke. "Please, you need to think about it with a cool mind. So, calm down and sit beside me."
I sat down with reluctance, feeling defeated. "See, how you and Sanya came dragged to this!  Everything's a mess.. and I don't seem to find a way out of it... "
"It's not your fault." He cut me off. 
"But I am accountable to this, Shaurya! I just don't know how things took such a serious turn, I really don't." I was fed up, fed up with everything.
"It's fine Darsh. It wasn't you, it was your parents and they didn't know, okay?" He consoled him.
"You're cool with it, Shaurya, but Sanya isn't! The whole office thinks we are engaged. Do you understand what a mess has been created? They freaking think Sanya and I are going to get married, Saurya!!" I was losing my patience by now.
"I'm Sanya's boyfriend, of course I understand. But I seriously think you need to take this slow and think over. Don't rush and mess it up further."
He was right. I needed to understand the situation first and then take any decision. Just worrying won't help. But I knew what my first priority was now. That's why when Shauya advised me to talk it out with Sanya, I agreed. 
The next day, I went to her house and knocked on the door. She answered after a few minutes. She looked drained. Her eyes were swollen from crying. She looked miserable. 
"S-Sanya?! My Gosh- What have you done to yourself?" 
"Stop acting as if you care!"
"Okay, look we need to talk this out. You can't just keep crying and nor can I keep blaming myself."
We went inside and sat with a cup of coffee. Even though we weren't in a mood to talk and discuss things, we had to.
"So.. Sanya, I am really sorry. I am so guilty that you had to go through all this. I can't even imagine myself in your place. I am sorry, once again."
"Your 'sorry' isn't going to fix anything! Let's be practical, Darsh."
"I know, I completely understand your condition, Sanya. Just hear me out okay-" I stopped for a breathe while she just sighed. "It was Maa. She and Dad were talking to my colleagues and joking on my marriage. For some reason, Maa thought you and I would be a good couple. That spread like a fire... Believe me, Maa didn't know that you were with Shaurya. Nor did she know that these things weren't supposed to be told officially. She has always been a little back-dated, you know right?"
She kept quiet.
"Sanya, please forgive me...And help me get you out of the mess I have trapped you and Shauya in."
She sighed and then gave an apologetic smile, "I guess, I have been too harsh on you. I am sorry too."
"Let's start off with ..."
"Shaurya and my engagement??" This took me with a shock. "So yaa, he and I were planning an engagement prior to the office party."
"I didn't know?!"
"It was a suprise. Why else would we be throwing a party?"
"I guess, that explains your sudden transition to 'a drama queen'." I joked.

They announced their engagement on the next working day. Honestly, I was really happy to see two of my besties get married as lovebirds finally. Maa was the happiest. She had always looked at them as her own children. It was a heart-warming experience with both of them and their one-large family. If you are reading this- Shaurya and Sanya, I love you both <3.

----------------------------The End------------------------------------------

A/N- The whole story was in the POV of Darshan as a third wheel. Do let me know if you want more stories of him in a side character. And talking of the characters- Sanya and Shaurya- I just finished watching all the 3 seasons of "Please Find Attached". It was a B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L series and watching Ayush and Barkha is like reliving the SRKajol moments.