He had waited twenty years to return it.

"Your jhumka..." He smiled while passing her the exquisite piece of jewelry, totally contradictory to the dainty piece of earrings she was wearing. Their hands brushed a little while she got hold of the twenty-years old earring, which was still as flawless and glamourous, as it had been when she wore it last. It looked the same, bringing back the same emotions and memories attached with it.  "I-I thought, I'd lost it." She was left teary-eyed at the dazzling jewelry which had found a place in her heart even after all those years. "Thank you." She muttered as she hugged him.

Flashback-
"I can't believe you're getting married this soon!" Drishti screamed in joy as the news of my wedding spread. "I am sooo happy for you, Binita!" Saying so, she hugged me tighter than ever. I looked  at everyone's gay eyes, and forced a smile on my face. 'If they were happy, I should be too.'  With all kinds of thoughts running through my head, my eyes stopped at Darshan, Drishti's brother. We three had been best friends ever since I can remember. "Hey." I reached out to him. His face was blank, with no emotions. I had seldom seen him this quiet. "Darshan!" I squealed, hoping to draw his attention. He said nothing, nor did his face express anything. "Aren't you happy that I am getting married?"  He looked down, not wanting to answer the question. "You aren't happy, are you?" I asked, stepping a little closer. He still couldn't meet my gaze. "I-I would miss you..." He whispered with an unrecognizable pain in his voice. "Stop talking as if I were to die tomorrow! It's just a wedding," I said, brushing off the tension in the atmosphere. "Your wedding, it is." The words struggled to come out of his mouth. My face twitched and the awkward laughter of mine set in. You see, I had a habit of laughing at the serious moments. But astonishingly, he also laughed with me. "Duh, you made me so scared, Darsh!" I playfully hit his arm. He smiled, and soon we were having the playful fight with each-other. But something in his eyes, said he wasn't happy even though the world saw him smiling. 

(The wedding day)
After a busy week, I was finally getting married to the guy my parents chose for me. He is the CEO of a huge company and was supposedly a good match for me. I was supposed to respect and love him till my last breath. The expectations crushed me. But I did what I was supposed to do- marry him anyway. 
(After the wedding)
It was a hectic night, with no sleep and rest. Now, I was supposed to be leaving this place, which I had called my home. There's no way I can refuse to conform to this, because, apparently girls are supposed to suffer this fate. My family and friends come to meet me one by one, hugging me tight, for the last time before I move in with my in-laws. Drishti was the last one to meet me, "I already miss you!" She cried dramatically. I laughed at her pettiness, but wondered why Darshan hadn't come yet. Seeing me distracted, she asked what the matter was. "Darsh hasn't come?" I blurt out the words. The colors from her face drained, "H-He's not well.." She muttered, looking away from my eyes. I could sense that she was lying, but I didn't want our last meeting to be bitter, so I pretended to believe her. I hug her lightly and leave.
(A few minutes later), Darsh's POV
I forced myself to watch her get married to someone she barely knew. But watching her leave with that person, is something I would never be able to do, even when I force myself. I know I was being selfish by putting myself before her, and not being there with her in her Vidai, but I had to, for the sake of her happiness. She looked so happy yesterday, so I didn't want to hurt her, by creating a mess there. But her voice called me, and I couldn't refuse her. I went to the mandap, after everyone left and found this Jhumka of hers. With a tear dropping down my cheeks, I held it tight in my hands and kept it with me.

20 Years later, (Present)
She thanked him again and asked him to come inside and meet her family. But he refused. "C'mon Darsh! It's been 20 years!" She kept forcing him. "I missed you and Drishti so much... Now that you are here, I'm not letting you leave just like that." He looked down just like he had once, unable to meet her gaze, "I'll miss you." He whispered and smiled. "I've waited 20 years to return it, and you've waited 20 years to get it back." 
The Jhumka was something which could be kept and returned in life, but somethings can't be returned once taken, such was his heart. He had given it to her, unknowingly, 20 years ago, and could never hope for it to be back without being broken.