Chapter 20

"Are you quite sure about this blouse, Gem? I know it's nothing over the top — there aren't any frills or lace or anything—but the material is quite...questionable. Like, don't get me wrong or anything; I can tell the quality of it just from studying design and feeling it, but are you sure it doesn't make me look old and washed out? Or like I'm about to go to bed?" I question, while tugging at the collar of it and adjusting the way it rests on my shoulders in front of the many vanity mirrors in my and Louis' shared bathroom.

I am currently dressed in the most skin-tight pair of black skinny jeans I own, which I affectionately refer to as my 'fuck me' jeans. I have paired them with my go-to pair of brown Chelsea boots and the champagne-coloured top Gemma chose for me. Since it more closely resembles the style of a shirt than an actual blouse, its design works wonderfully for the occasion at hand — the blouse has the structure of a shirt but the delicacy of a woman's bodice. The sleeves are cuffed, and the front opens into a 'v' shape that is closed with ruffles at the end of it. It is incredibly wonderful, and I would be in awe of it if I saw it on someone else but myself.

Regardless, it hugs my body perfectly due to the low-cut front, which is tucked into my jeans, making the lean line of my torso look even more toned and slender. The two sparrows that are perched on my chest are clear as day, and you can just make out the tips of the butterfly's wings through the openings of the shirt. My only concern is whether or not the amount of femininity conveyed by the satin is simply too much.

Objectively, it has a lovely appearance, and I feel pretty in it, especially with the pairing of my rings and layered chains, but I'm simply not sure about it.

Just as I'm cross-examining my outfit choice once again, Gemma chooses this moment to step into the bathroom carrying a makeup bag filled with a variety of products of varying shapes and sizes, along with numerous types of brushes and sponges that I am not yet familiar with. I am putting my faith in her, but I only hope that she doesn't go too overboard with the makeup since I did tell her that I wanted to start out slowly and I already have on varnish and a blouse.

"Darling, you look stunning. Stop messing around with the blouse; you'll crease the material. Believe me when I say you look the furthest thing from old and washed out, or going to bed. Your legs look sinful in those jeans...I can't wait for Louis to see you!" exclaims Gemma with excitement as she takes in my appearance while laying out the various products she needs in front of me.

"Swear to God, you and Louis are boys, and your vanity is thrice the size of mine...and this isn't even your only one," mutters Gemma under her breath, as she selects something that I know to be primer after I sit down on one of the many stools and inform her that I have already moisturised.

"Tell me about it; who fucking needs all this space?" I huff as I warily examine the number of products she is placing on the counter. "Gem, please don't go too heavy on the makeup. You know all I rarely ever wear is gloss, and I am planning on taking baby steps after all," I plead while trying to figure out what to do with my curls.

"I say we leave the hair down and just sweep it to the side with some product to hold the curls in place," she muses, causing me to nod my head in agreement while she grabs something she calls skin tint. Gemma then continues by saying, "...and don't worry about the makeup. You're naturally beautiful, so you won't need practically any — hell, you don't even need concealer. You have literally no blemishes or dark circles. I guess that cucumbers on the eyes really do work wonders after all," she adds while applying the skin tint to my face with the weird-looking sponge.

"I feel like from the number of makeup vlogs we've watched together, I should know the actual name of the sponge instead of calling it an 'egg-shaped thing' in my head, you know," I joke, causing Gemma to laugh in response and grab a brush and contour stick, both of which attract my interest. After that, I ask her, "Hey, isn't that the new Rare Beauty contour stick?" causing her to playfully roll her eyes and respond with words of her own.