Chapter 19

"Oh my God, Sophie, what are you doing here, love? I've missed you so much, angel, oh my God," I exclaim in a choked voice, overcome with emotions, while I hold the little girl in my arms for dear life.

It has been so long since I have seen her. So long since I've seen Gemma. So long since I've seen either of them, and even longer since I've held them both.

I can't believe Sophie is here in my arms and that Gemma is somewhere in this house.

I can't even begin to imagine that my little angel is already three and walking and talking. I can't fathom that I can actually smell her strawberry-scented shampoo and that I get to play with her honey-blonde hair.

Before I know it, I will be cross-examining her dates, helping her pick her prom dress, and then walking her down the aisle. I can't believe how much she has already grown up and how much of her precious life I have already missed.

Her resemblance to Gemma is simply uncanny, although her honey-blonde hair and button nose are a dead giveaway as to who her father really is. You would, however, swear that she and Gemma were the same person if it weren't for the few of her father's features infused in her DNA.

Sophie, just like Gemma, has the same dark eyes, the same wide lips, the same soft eyebrows, and most notably of all, the exact same personality. Nevertheless, if their indistinguishable anatomy didn't hint that Gemma's blood ran through her veins, then all you had to do was spend a few minutes with either of them, and all doubt would be erased from your mind. Both of them had the exact same caring nature, the identical natural charm that tended to put a smile on your face even on the saddest of days, and sadly, both had the same blind trust that landed Gemma pregnant with her in the first place. My only hope is that Sophie, unlike Gemma, will outgrow this the older she gets.

On the other hand, though, not only did Sophie inherit these qualities, but she also received Gemma's stubbornness and determined mindset.

Although she was only three, once Sophie made her mind up about something, it was almost always futile to try and change it (the only person who is ever successful in doing so is Gemma). Regardless of this attribute, though, I would do anything for her — anything for them both — and go through any means to protect them and keep them from harm's way. Especially, I would go to hell and back to keep Sophie away from men like her father.

"Hey Sophie, where's Gemma, baby? Where's mummy?" I once again ask, given that the only response I previously got was her burying her face in my chest and climbing onto my lap with a tiny fistful of my curls as she shyly glanced in Louis' direction.

"Where did you leave your mama, darling? Don't tell me you left her all alone at home and flew across that huge ocean by yourself. You have to tell me your secret, little one. Did you use the superhero cape Uncle Li and Ni gave you? Or did a radioactive spider bite you and give you powers? You honestly have to tell me; I'm dying to know your secret," I quietly exaggerate while briefly meeting Louis' eye from across the room with a soft smile.

"Gemma must miss her little dove so much. How would she ever survive without your expert cuddles, little miss?" I embellish similarly while blowing raspberries onto her neck as my fingers attack her tiny torso, causing her to let out peals of giggles and slightly pull away from my embrace.

"Uncle Hazzy, stopp... You're so silly. Mama is talking to Nan downstairs. I didn't leave her at home, duhh," she then states like it's the most obvious thing in the world while shaking her head, causing me to fondly stare at her and facepalm for show.

"Silly me indeed. Good thing you told me, or I would have never figured it out," I reply while pulling her back into my arms and kissing the top of her head, causing her to blush due to all the lads cooing at the sight.