.ch one

CHARLOTTE 'CHARLIE' GREENFIELD loves the skate park

  CHARLOTTE 'CHARLIE' GREENFIELD loves the skate park. Not because she, herself, skates but because of the skaters. The freedom in their movement, the elegance in their style, and their expressions of happiness when they succeed in a move. All of it brings her joy, a joy that she's able to witness because of someone else's happiness.

  She has always loved happiness. Though she could never explain why, it was one of her favorite things in the world. A lot of her classmates from her old school would always call her weird because 'How could someone love being happy all the time?'.

  It's not that she was happy all the time, she just had no reason to be sad anymore. She had a great relationship with her mom, a best friend turned sister, and a cat who, even though he often left scratched in her arms, loved her as much as she loved him.

Life was great!

۪۪۫۫

  Sitting at the edge of the park, where she could see just about every person there, Charlie set her bag down next to her and took out her tablet. Recently she had discovered the world of digital art and was obsessed, and though she was not great yet, she loved sketching in the drawing app.

  She began drawing. Anything that caught her eye was sketched, compiling a collage of sketches. Flowers that were growing in the bush next to her, a lone wheel that was kicked to the side of the park so no one would trip over it, a stray dog, the palm tree a few feet away from her, and the disgusting public water fountain at the other side of the park.

  Though she was not very good at anatomy she tried her best to draw little figures of the skateboarders and rollerbladers around the border of the digital 'paper'. Even though she was still getting used to the difference between traditional and digital, this really was one of the best pieces she had ever done. It should probably be in an art museum, The Getty to be exact.

  A good three hours pass by in a blur, an hour before she has to go home, Charlie spots familiar child-like writing carved into the old table. Definitely years old, she knows because she was the one who put it there with her childhood friend. It was embarrassing.

CHARLES + ——
BFF AND EVER

  Due to childhood heartbreak, the second name was crossed out, there was no way you could see the name that was previously carved.

  "Stupid ten-year-old 'Charles'," Charlie muttered under her breath, putting her tablet in her bag. It's about time she left anyway.

  As she was getting up to leave she heard a skateboard coming to a stop behind her and the person moving to stand next to her. Tensing up, she turned to tell the person about personal space and to back off ——