Part 4

Thank God. You stretched before your front door, wincing as your back popped. "Vacation." A low whistle caught your attention.

"Hellllloooo nurse." The voice made you freeze. "Long day?"

"Mikey?" You turned to take in the youngest of the mutants dangling off the porch overhang, orange bandana tails dancing around his head, gold chain hitting his lip.

"The one and only!" He crowed, letting his arms dangle. "Whatcha doin'?"

You scoffed, looked around. At least it was dark out, you guessed. No one would see him lurking outside your apartment.

"Going home." You emphasized by motioning to the door behind you. "Gracefully ignoring your terrible Yakko impersonation. I'm not a nurse, by the way."

"I can sing Yakko's World." Mikey beamed, a vein in his forehead beginning to protrude from gravity.

"I..." you inhaled, smiling. "I do not doubt that, Michelangelo."

"Wanna-"

"Nope." You stuck up a hand, silencing him. "No, I do not want to hear it "

Mikey pouted, then shrugged, which looked odd upside down. "Where're the kids?"

That still took you back, hearing the mutants refer to your children. "They're at a sleep over." You bristled, eyes narrowing in apprehension. "Why?"

"Diggin' the duds." He pinched your orange undershirt peeking out from blue scrubs, avoiding the question.

"Uh-" his erratic train of thought was throwing you off. Making you uneasy, suspicious.

"So," He dropped to the railing. His landing barely jarred the metal frame, earning your awe. "Are we going or what?" He pushed his gaze directly into your line of vision, blue eyes big and begging.

You yanked out of his grasp, blinked, shook your head. "What?"

He frowned, lips pursed. "You know." He pointed upwards. "Join us."

You felt stupid, but you couldn't help it. "On... on patrol?"

Mikey scoffed, blue eyes rolled. "Duh." He chuckled, wrapping a hand around your wrist. "What else?"

"But I-"

It was very fluid, the way he pulled you out and against himself. The way he sprung to the overhang and across to the next ceiling effortlessly. You couldn't help but notice that, where Mikey lacked in the same kind of power Raph or Leo had, he made up for in speed. He was fast, fluid. You barely noticed the landings and running between buildings.

Till he stopped. Then all of a sudden gravity caught up to you.

"Oh." You swayed as he set you on your feet. You were going to puke.

"Well look who's finally arrived." You looked up from your crouched position to see Raph swagger up to you, arms crossed.

You wobbled a little, waved as everyone looked at you, sure you looked like a newborn calf on awkward stilted legs. You swallowed. Inhaled.

"I'm fine." You announced, watching as the boys resumed their activities in unison, as though they had been waiting for your go ahead.

Mikey had left you, and you weren't sure what to do. You'd never been on a stake out before, let alone on top of a building.

It was dirtier than you had imagined; bird shit, feathers, bugs, dust and debris.

Donnie adjusted his glasses as you walked up beside him, Raph just off to the side. "Good to see you've healed so well from our first meeting."