Part 16

"Are you guys ready?" Donatello's voice cracked through the speaker.

Leo shot a glance across the rooftop at Mikey, who nodded, giving a quick salute before melting into the shadows.

"Ready." Leonardo confirmed before following suit.

Silently, unseen. Down the old pipes. Hiding in the blind spots of street lights as their target moved forward. Clanky, awkward. Too stiff and disjointed for human movement. Joints bending wrong.

Kraang.

Donnie's tracker bleeping louder the closer they got. Following in the darkness, waiting for their opportunity.

"At the gates," Leo had pointed at the map projected over the kitchen counter. "That's where we'll strike."

Brothers listened intently. Raph caught Leonardo's eye, frowned but nodded. This wasn't a game, this wasn't the place to air grievances.

Finger moved over the path. "Donnie," his brother straightened. "You and Raph will place the bombs-"

"Raph?" Mikey interrupted, looking confused. "But I'm the stealth guy."

Raph snorted, crossing his arms.

"I know this isn't our usual team up." Leo admitted.

The target led them through the streets of New York. From one innocuous vendor to a newspaper stand to a fast food joint. But soon, Leo knew, they'd be alone. Unobservable. No witnesses.

Eyes drifted to Mikey, who was thrumming with adrenaline. Disciplined enough to keep it under wraps.

"But I'm the muscle." Raph frowned, "is this because of what I said earlier?"

The other brothers watching the scene unfold.

"No." Leo sighed. "This is because I know, if something were to happen to Donnie, you'd be there to dig him out." He motioned between himself and Mikey, "if we had the tech know-how we'd go with you instead."

"Is the target still in sight?" Donnie's voice a whisper.

"Yeah." Mikey responded, falling back, turning away to muffle his voice. "T-minus 20 yards to the drop."

Leo stiffened, shook his head. It wasn't worth the fight to correct his brother. Donatello must have known it too. The line stayed dead.

"Once we get the key holder down," Leo led his brothers through the simulated attack. "We'll rendezvous here, at the docks." He leaned on the table, eyes on Raph and Donnie. "While Mikey and I are getting the way in, I need you both to scope out the facility. We need to do the most damage with the least implication and fatalities." He leaned back, arms crossed. "What do you have for me, Dee?"

Bodies tensed. Weapons drawn. Leo knew it would be a hell of a fight. Breath in.

Breath out.

Mikey struck first, soundlessly. Bouncing on the balls of his feet, fist striking out. Fading into the darkness.

But it was too late. They'd been spotted. The illusion shimmered away to reveal the alien bastard in his mecha suit. The element of surprise gone.

No bystanders.

Leo emerged first, seeing the laser pistol drawn. Mikey from the otherside. Heart pounding. They knew this wasn't a numbers game.

"I'm so glad you asked!" Donnie pulled out a small metal golf ball. "I've finally been able to get my hands on uranium-"