Chapter 25

No one's POV:
The first thing Zuko became aware of was piercing pain on the back of his head. The next was a gentle rocking and soft humming. He was in the back of their cart, with Uncle Iroh driving. For a long moment, he kept his eyes closed, willing it all to have been a dream. When he would open his eyes, he would see Y/N still asleep next to him, the pain in his head would be from the bumpy ride, and he would still be able to make a different choice.
But he opened his eyes and the only thing keeping him company in the back were their crates of food. He reached up and found a bandage wrapped around his head.
"You're awake," came his uncle's voice, "How do you feel?"
A groan was his only reply, before asking instead, "What happened?"
Iroh sighed, "I found you alone in a cave, unconscious, with an open wound on the back of your head. And Y/N was nowhere to be found."
Zuko sighed, flashbacks of Y/N being thrown against the wall, her friends rushing to her side, and the Avatar jumping between him and them, and...they all came back. He relayed what happened to his uncle, before saying, "Don't you dare say 'I told you so'."
"Wasn't going to," he replied, gently, "I'm sorry it didn't work out."
"Yeah, well," Zuko struggled to a sitting position, "What should I have expected. Nothing works out for me."
I fuck up everything every time, he added silently.
         "You made a mistake, Prince Zuko. Now you know better for next time,"
         "If there ever is a next time,"
         "You never know. You may even see Y/N again. Destiny is a funny thing,"