Part 4

The next couple months were wonderful. Leon continued to follow Jessie around and cling onto her. It was delightful. Jessie had wanted someone to serve such a purpose in her life, and Leon was truly perfect for it. He would do anything she wanted. Anything, really. There wasn't anything wrong with what Jessie was doing, right? Leon was obviously happy. There was the way he smiled and waved whenever he saw Jessie. Whenever Jessie asked him to do something for her, he was obviously delighted to do so. It wasn't like he got nothing in return. Of course, there were always those last few days when the potion would start to wear off. Leon's delight would turn to confusion, and he would grimace at her touch. Jessie could easily remedy it by giving him another dose, but it was still rather inconvenient.

It was Belle, Leon and Gale against Jessie, Tara, and Tick. Things were going perfectly for the first team. They had 10 gems while the other team had 5. They were going to win– until they didn't.

The trio reappeared outside the arena. Belle furiously grabbed the front of Leon's shirt and yelled in his face.

"What in tarnation was that, kid? You had 6 gems. We were going to win."
Gale said, "Hey, go easy on him, Belle. It wasn't his fault."

"Wasn't his fault?" Belle spat. "You were carrying the gems, and your super was ready. Don't lie– I know it was. We were about to win, but you stood in the middle of the map and let yourself get killed. You had an opportunity to fall back, but you didn't. Why would you do that?"

"Um..."

"You didn't wanna win. I don't know why, but you decided to let us lose. Fine– just get out of here. I'm glad you ain't my kid." She let him go, and Leon ran out.

"I know why," said Gale. "It was because of Jessie– he's got a real hankering for that girl. I've seen them at the Snowtel together at least five times in the past month, and Leon sticks to her like molasses."

"Ah, I don't know the gossip concerning the kids in Starr Park. Jessie and Leon, huh? Still, why would he let her win? Sounds like a darned unhealthy relationship."

"I don't know," Gale admitted. "Poor kid. He's obviously hurting from this. If only he weren't so blinded by what he feels for Jessie."