0:38

Her phone vibrated loudly against the top of her black chest of drawers. It wasn't a short vibration which would notify her that a text had come in. Rather, it was constant, and annoying- such that she couldn't ignore it, as much as she wanted to.

She was getting dressed. She needed to go out - hence she didn't want any disturbances from anyone.

She sighed. Pausing for a moment before she glanced at her screen, and almost rolled her eyes when she saw who was calling her. The very reason why she was planning on going out in the first place.

She had a good idea on why he was calling - she'd basically isolated herself the entire day, and had left work as soon as her hours were completed. She low-key wished that she'd postponed on offering friendship. She just wanted to be left alone. However, she had a strong feeling that he wasn't the 'absent' type of friend - but intended to hold one accountable.

Hence she found herself attaching her phone to her brother's ringlight that she'd brought back from home. Which reminded her that she still needed to respond to her mother's message which she had sent on the day she flew back into Chicago.

"Mr. Hayes, to what do I owe the pleasure?" she sighed, dragging her voice. Her eyes were not on the screen, but rather on the mirror as she put on her golden hoop earrings. She loved them because they made a statement on their own, which was what she was trying to achieve tonight.

"Well damn, don't you sound excited to hear my voice," once again he had called her on FaceTime and not using a normal call - like any decent human being. But one thing she was learning quickly was the fact that he wasn't quite the regular human being. He aimed to stand out.

"For one, you're dialing me on FaceTime, which I find unnecessary. Nu-," he tried to interrupt her, but she quickly blocked him by speaking over him.

"Number two, I'm not gonna be giggly just because you're calling me. How can I help you Mr. Hayes?" she didn't offer him a smile, or any attention for that matter. Her face remained neutral.

"Does it kill you to ever be nice?" he let out a short chuckle, quite rather amused by her attitude. "Like, gee thanks Hendrichs for calling to check in, really needed that."

"Boy! You must be delusional. I didn't ask you to check in though?" she briefly looked at the screen, seeing the small smile that rested upon his gorgeous face. This seemed to annoy her more than ever. "I am good, as you can see. Look amazing, as you can see. If that's all, I'd like to finish getting ready so I can leave."

"Suit yourself then. At least I can say I followed my spirit that nudged me to call. Just thought something might be the problem."

"Yeah, you definitely need to get that checked out. Cause clearly your spirit was wrong," she snapped, smoothly applying eye liner. She was going with an Egyptian look for tonight.

"Clearly. Enjoy your night. See you tomorrow, bright and early." Gone was the amusement on his face. Now he just seemed annoyed. Not that she cared. At least that's what she was telling herself.

"My shift is in the evening. Already cleared that with you earlier." She simply stated, "See you then."

He didn't respond. He simply looked at her, the silence engulfing the virtual space between them. She knew that he hadn't hung up, however, she didn't want to look at him. She knew that she'd start feeling bad if she did that.

She picked up her lipgloss, even though she already had lipgloss on her lips. She wanted to appear busy. Unbothered. She'd opened up to him so deeply last night, and she felt too vulnerable. Too open. He felt too close. And she didn't like that. Just look what had happened with Amaru.