Chapter Twenty-Six

Sorin and Arlin were in the Wythynian city of Veploy. The city shimmered in the mid morning sun, tall glass and steel buildings glittering like cut diamonds. The city was structured like New Emili, skyscraping buildings encircled by clustered greenery.

"Do you know what you're going to say?" Sorin asked as they walked down the white paved street to the address Arlin had memorized.

He nodded. He'd practiced the words. Whispering them late into the night, picturing when he'd finally be able to say them out loud.

The building, the one his grandmother lived in was a five story red brick building; the only red brick building on the block, probably in the city. It was old; chipped and faded but still standing. When they knocked a woman with sharp eyes and olive skin opened the door. She had oil dark hair that was cut short and curled around her round ears. She was human, Arlin noted.

"You're here," she said unexpectedly.

"Hello," Arlin greeted awkwardly as his brow rose in question.

"Eddih said you'd come today but I..." Her voice trailed as her eye narrowed at him. Her gaze scrutinized his face as if looking for something. "You are him, are you not?" Him who? Arlin wanted to ask but before he could her eyes softened again and she said, "Of course you're him. You have your father's eyes."

"My father?" Arlin gapped. "You knew my father."

"Of course, he was a dear friend of mine." She smiled when she said this. "I'm sorry, I should introduce myself. I'm Likkel."

"Likkel," Arlin repeated the name. "I'm—"

"Arlin," she cut him off. "Arlin Kit." Probably sensing Arlin's impending question Likkel added, "Eddih told me your name. She's your grandmother. She's been expecting you."

His brows furrowed purely on instinct. "Expecting me?"

"It's better if she explains, come in." She moved from the threshold to allow him access. Arlin looked to his brother, feeling uncharacteristically hesitant. This was what he wanted. Why was he hesitating? He was scared, he realized. What if she wasn't what he'd expected. Maybe there was a good reason his mothers had kept him away from her for so long. He was scared everything he'd done to get here, blackmailing Vae, leaving behind Tori and Sol, leaving behind Andy, wouldn't be worth it. He was terrified to find that he'd sacrificed everything for nothing.

Was this it? His journey's end.

Sorin, as if sensing the bubbling doubt, squeezed his shoulder. "Go on," he nodded after Likkel.

"Will you come with me?"

Sorin smiled, "That's a first. Where'd you put my daring little sibling?"

"I don't know." Arlin said honestly. "He's not here right now."

The smile fell off Sorin's face and with a more somber voice he said, "Kit, you can do this." He held him with both hands on his shoulders. "You want to know how I know that. It's because I know you. I've known you since the day mom brought you home. You've always been this fierce kid, stubborn like an ox but braver than any Valek soldier on the force. You never falter, never waver, you know what you want and you go after it. You've wanted this for so long, I can see that now. You need to talk to her."

"What if—"

"No 'what ifs'," he cut him off. "There's no time for doubt, go in there."

Arlin nodded. Sorin was right. He'd wanted this for so long. He wanted it so bad his body ached with anticipation.

In he went into the red brick building. He walked through a narrow passage way, following Likkel's every step. She led him to a small drawing room on the second floor. It had floral printed wallpaper on the walls, a Persian carpet on the floor, glimmering rosewood furniture thoughtfully placed out. A woman, with graying ash blond hair sat in an armchair with a knitting-set in her lap. She raised her gaze as soon as Arlin and Likkel walked in. She had the same blue bell eyes as Arlin's. She smiled as their eyes met. Her smile was warm and inviting. He stepped forward as if his body had made the decision on its own to trust the woman. However the closer he got he noticed something.