Chapter Twenty-Seven

Anna stepped into the Lone Manner after Kol. The large house was dimly lit, moon light filtering in through the expansive windows. It was late, way past midnight. They'd walked all the way to the manner, stalking through the woods and keeping hidden from sight. They didn't know what had happened but they'd figured it was safer that no one knew that they were back yet.

"It's going to be okay, right?" Kol said as Sage closed the door behind them. "Whatever is happening, it's..." his voice trailed.

"I don't know," Anna said honestly. "I don't think..." her voice trailed.

"It has to be okay," Hae said stepping next to Anna.

"And I'm sure it will be," this was Andy.

Since when was he an optimist, Anna thought. Whatever was going on she doubted there was very much they could do to stop it or fix it. If the Kuth couldn't prevent it, what chance did they have? She didn't say any of this, of course. The shaken look on Kol's face, the nervous, uneasiness in Hae's eyes and the hard unbridled clench of Sage's jaw stopped her from saying anything. Their home was falling apart, what good would pointing it out be.

"Andy's right," she said instead. She feigned confidence; they deserved this from her, if she could give nothing else. "I'm sure Wenly and Val already have a plan to fix everything."

"Yeah," Andy agreed with her. "They're probably waiting—"

"Kol," Val's voice came from the other end of the hall, cutting Andy off. Her voice sounded thin and unsure.

Kol slowly turned, his shoulders stiff, as if he was afraid she wouldn't be there when he looked. Afraid he'd imagined the voice. He hadn't. She was there. She ran to Kol, wrapping her arms around his neck in a tight hug. "Thank the gods," she said.

He hugged her back, just as tight. "I'm back," he said the words as if he was just realizing it. That it was just now sinking in that after what felt like months he was home.

"You're not allowed to leave again, you hear me?"

Kol laughed. It was a laugh half relief and half humor. "I hear you."

When she finally pulled away it was only for a moment, she gestured Hae closer and pulled them both in. "You too," she said to her. "I'm so glad to have you back."

Hae looked unsettled by the embrace for a moment then her shoulders eased and she placed her arm around her sister. "Trust me, I've had enough adventuring to last me a life time."

"Val," Sage finally spoke, stepping forward. "What happened?"

"I can explain that," Wenly said, he was standing the end of the hall Val had entered from.

>>>>>>>

"That's impossible," Sage said as soon as Wenly was done explaining everything. "My mother wouldn't do that." Val reached for her hand but Sage stepped away from her. She couldn't let her touch her. Not right now. Not when she felt like was unraveling. "You don't understand," she insisted. "She wouldn't do this. She's the captain of the Kuth; she wouldn't turn against the island she swore to protect. Wenly, you trained with her. You know her. She wouldn't this. This has to be some trick. M.A.G.E is doing this. Orrick Hast is behind this."

"Orrick Hast isn't behind this," Wenly said with perfect composure. How dare he stand there, with his stoic expression as he tells her that her mother is a traitor? He's wrong, she thought. He had to be wrong. There was no way. No way at all that her mother would ever do anything like this. She was certain he was wrong.

"How do you know that?" she asked incredulous. "He's the head of M.A.G.E. He killed your... he killed the emperor. How can you defend him?"

"It's because I didn't kill anyone," A voice from behind her said. When she turned Orrick Hast was standing by the open entrance to the drawing room. Orrick Hast, in the flesh. Tall, blond haired, blue eyed, lanky boned, pale skinned, square jawed, Orrick Hast. It was him. He stood in front of them, everyone stared, frozen. "Isn't that right, princeling." His eyes were on Wenly. Everyone followed his gaze and waited for Wenly's response. He nodded. He nodded. He nodded and Sage couldn't breathe. There was no air in the room.

"That doesn't make sense," she said. "He's a criminal, he's the head of M.A.G.E," How could he believe him over her mother. Over someone who'd risked her life over and over again for the safety of this island. How could he? It didn't make sense, something was wrong. Something had to be wrong. This couldn't be happening. She pulled her Bo staff from her belt and lunged for Hast. She pushed him against the wall, pressing her staff against his chest. "What did you do? What did you do to him? What did you do my mother?" This had to be some kind of spell, compulsion, maybe.

"Nothing," Hast coughed out.

"Sage, let him go," Wenly warned.

"He's the bad guy here," she insisted.

"No he isn't," this was Val. She'd moved closer to her and placed her hand on her arm. "Sage, let him go."

She couldn't. He was the bad guy. She was the hero. She was protecting them. She had to protect them. That's was the duty of the Kuth. The Kuth wouldn't just turn against everyone. Her mother wouldn't just turn against everyone. She couldn't let him go.

"I... can't... breathe," Hast wheezed.

"Sage stop," Wenly warned in that commanding voice of his. It was an order from the crown. She served the crown. She had to obey. But she couldn't.

"He needs to tell the truth."

"He is," Wenly insisted.

"No he isn't," this wasn't Sage. Nicco. He stood by the entrance, where Hast had been mere moments ago. "He isn't telling the truth."

"I...am," Hast said, his voice ragged. He was starting to change color, his face going red.

"No you're not. I was there that night, I saw you do it. I saw you kill my father. Stop lying. Stop saying you didn't do it."

Sage saw it then; panic. It filled his eyes. Panic that wasn't there before. She could have killed his at any second and he knew that. But he hadn't been as scared as he should have been. He should have been terrified but he wasn't. Not of her. But of him? Of the dark haired prince, standing a few inches shorter than her, soft and delicate. He was petrified. "I... didn't... have... a... choice," the words struggled out of him.

Nicco stepped forward, his voice was seething. "Yes you did."

"I was... compelled"

Slowly, each word laced with enough venom to kill, "No. You. Weren't."

Something shifted in Hast's gaze. It filled with panic then something heavier, something more suffocating that Sage's grip. Guilt. Sage finally let him go and he crumpled to the ground, grasping for air.

"It was in your eyes that day. Clear as day. The same look you have right now. You weren't being compelled. You made the choice. You chose to take my father from me. You knew how much it'd hurt and you still did it. And then you lied to me."

"You don't understand," he sounded desperate. "She said she'd kill you if I didn't do it."

"She who?"

"My sister."

Nicco moved closer, kneeling down next to Hast. Sage saw something glint in his hand, catching the light from the lit candles. He moved his hand to stroke Hast cheek before he whispered something to him. Then in a moment, shorter than a blink of an eye, Nicco pulled a knife from the sleeve of his shirt and plunged it into Hast's side.